[Apple Watch] Unable to Check for Update - Not connected to the internet error

Hi. I am pairing my Apple Watch Series 5 to my iPhone running ios 14. The pairing is successful but unable to proceed with the set up because an update is needed to be downloaded first. I updated the os for watch but I keep on getting “Unable to Check for Update - Checking for a software update failed because you are not connected to the internet”. I am definitely connected to the internet.

Watch was reset to factory defaults and I am now pairing it as a new device but it fails due to the issue mentioned above.
  • I solved this issue by uninstalling the Watch app from my iphone and reloading it. After reloading the app I paired the watch to the phone and the update started loading.

• I will say one thing today was a frustrating day trying to get the watch to pair for a few hours. Finally I have success. My fix is the same as many but it took only one try when I changed the Country and Language. I decided to use language Portuguese, and country Afghanistan. It worked. so mad I could not see straight. But success, hope it works for you. It will.

• Apple Watch 3, iPhone 11Pro w/ iOS 14.6 - nothing works to update the watch and make it a usable device, it's basically a dud now. I've tried resetting the iPhone and trying to update the watch in different language. No dice!

Accepted Reply

Hard resetting iPhone fixed this issue.

Steps are:
  1. Press Volume Up and let go.

2. Press Volume Down and let go.

3. Press and hold the side button.

Note: This does not wipe any data from your phone
  • This didn't work for me.

• Same issue here. Reset series 3 Apple Watch to factory settings and tried to pair with iPhone X on iOS 14.6 and no matter what I do, I get the not connected to internet error when I am most definitely online.

restart, reset, reinstalling watch, changing languages, changing region- none of that worked. Very frustrating!

• @Patcwin thanks, that worked for me

Replies

GUYS I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT, if you can't pair your apple watch because of something along the line of not connected to internet, I figured out how to fix it! So basically, you want to make sure that the Watch app is allowed to use Wifi and Cellular. Go into settings, and then Cellular, then scroll down until you see the Watch app, then click into it and make it is selected as WLAN & Cellular Data, then go back to whichever way of pairing you like and BOOM, problem solved! (This comment was from someone on youtube, It worked for me and I’m sure It’ll work for you)

I've tried almost everything mentioned in this thread but no luck. I'm trying this with brand new Apple watch series 3 & iOS 15.1. I don't understand why it is so complicated. Even service center guys couldn't help. Very frustrating experience. Tried following things: Changed language & region, hard reset, reinstalling app, multiple device pairing, 2.4ghz internet, Any other trick make this ***** Box working.

• try canada region it's working finally with me

Add a Comment

Put your watch on the charger and try again.

• None of the other comments worked for me. But charging did!

Add a Comment

I’ve finally fixed it by turn off cellular data permission to Watch app and turn it back to on. You can find it on setting > cellular > scroll down to find Watch app > slide off then slide on.

[SOLVED]

1. Logout from your AppleID on your iPhone
  2. Go to Watch App on your iPhone
  3. Try now

WORKS for me

Hello my Apple Watch won’t work and it says connect to tha internet when I am

• try to change the region to Canada on the phone and the watch

Add a Comment

Logout from your AppleID on your iPhone Go to Watch App on your iPhone Try now WORKS for me

• I believe this is because you are enrolled in the apple beta program. Signing out fixes it since it no longer looks for the beta version.

Add a Comment

I had the exact same problem tried doing all of the resets on iPhone (13 pro) and my Apple Watch series 5 which still gave the same error. Paired the watch with a friends iPhone (11) which worked fine. Then I tried again on mine and it worked first time. Watch is now doing the update finally!!

I tried everything here for more than 2 days non works. only one solution works someone mintioned to change the region to Canada on the phone and the watch it's work finally with that. woohoo thanks for him/her

Finally figured this out after trying everything!!! Hope this works for someone! How i finally got mine working after 3 hours of trying everything, i disconnected my phone from internet i was using and connected to my partners hot spot both phone and watch are on charge not sure if it make a difference or not but its working now!

(incase anyone was wondering, i have iphone 12 and apple watch 3. just bought apple watch second hand from facebook market place)

GOOD LUCK

I could finally fix the issue by disabling wifi and checking for updates over LTE.

Once the update started downloading I could re-enable wifi and load the update over wifi.

I tried every single thing on this forum. Called apple support and even took it in to be serviced. The watch was a brick. I remembered that i had at one point enrolled in the apple beta years ago to get a new feature.

after unenrolling from this and syncing the watch it worked the first time. To test if this was the issue i enabled it again and tried and i ran in the same ****** issue. Unenrolled and bam it worked.

the apple beta causes this to happen for some watches it seems.

no where on my phone did it show i was in the beta I had to go to https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram sign in and then click the unenroll link.

Amazing job apple. I had tried pairing with 5 different iphones on 3 different networks across 2 contents. Apple support was sure it was a router reboot that would do the trick lol.

Same issue here so what I did was and I hope this will also work for you:

• Uninstall the Watch app then reinstall it again
  • Turn ON the Low Power Mode
  • Settings>Cellular>Turn OFF Wi-Fi Assist
  • Restart the iPhone
  • Try pairing it

EDIT: Also make sure your phone is running the latest ios

• I have tried every solution suggested in this thread and this one has been the only that worked.

Many thanks.

Add a Comment

Ok I was just scrolling through this thread I don’t know how I did it honestly but I closed the app by accident as it was verifying looked up this website and as it was sitting on the charger next to me it turned off and started updating 🤞🏻 I’ll let you know the results

I tried literally everything and nothing worked. Then someone in this forum mentioned turning the cellular data off and leaving only the Wi-Fi connection. IT WORKED!