Why is security set-key-partition-list needed to use codesign?

Hello,

I am trying to set up manual codesigning in an automated build script that runs in Github Actions. The process was hanging because the codesign command prompts for a password. I tried to get around this in several ways:
  • passing the password to codesign in the script (doesn't seem to work)

• using the -T /usr/bin/codesign option when doing security import <certificate>

• using the -A option when doing security import <certificate>

• unlocking the keychain, and extending the timeout time

The UI prompt would still always appear. I finally found this question: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39868578/security-codesign-in-sierra-keychain-ignores-access-control-settings-and-ui-p which seems to be the same issue.
The solution suggested there, security set-key-partition-list -S apple-tool:,apple: -s -k <keychain password> <keychain name> solves the problem. I couldn't find any answers on these forums explaining this command.

I have two questions:
1) Why did the first things I tried not work?
2) Could I get some confirmation that this is the correct and secure way to do this?
Thanks!
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of emilys Down vote post of emilys
4.7k views

Replies

To answer your second question: Yes, seems like that's the correct way. At least the GitHub Action for apple-actions/import-codesign-certs does the same (see these lines).

I have no idea what that does but it seems to be necessary. In general you should be able to just use the GitHub Action apple-actions/import-codesign-certs in your own automated script as described in their Readme.md.