Handoff and airplay is not working after updating BigSur 11.0.1.

My handoff/airplay devices are iPad Pro 2020(iPadOS 14.2),iPhone X(iOS 14.2),MacBook Pro2019 (Big Sur11.0.1) and apple tv.
iPad Pro and iPhone X can detect handoff from each other;But they both can't detect handoff from MacBook Pro(Big Sur11.0.1).
Same case in airplay. But it can detect apple tv.
I've tried all troubleshooting in all devices.

Replies

Seems it might be an iCloud issue.
All my devices (iPad on 14.3; iPhone on 14.3, iPad mini on 14.2, Mac on 11.0.1) are showing different sets of out-of-date pages when I try to handoff in Safari. The 14.2 shows 21 pages more than currently open on my Mac (some going back several days). iPhone (14.3) shows three more than actually open but not the current ones. iPad (14.3) shows fewer pages than actually open on my Mac.
Copy/paste between devices works Mac to iPhone and Mac to iPad mini but not Mac to iPad.

Nothing in the release notes about this.

Feedback error report submitted.

Hi, I just logged in to iCloud on the web and then restarted all my Apple devices, turned Bluetooth/WLAN etc. on and off and then it worked again.
Hi, I am facing this issue as well. Handoff between iPhone and iPad working well. However, Big Sur does not able to connect to either iPhone or iPad. Universal Clipboard is affected as well. (edit: issue resolved after signing in to iCloud on web and turning bluetooth on and off)

Speaking of bluetooth issue, I am facing bluetooth speaker (JBL Flip 5) static sound after connecting Magic Mouse, magic keyboard to MacBook Pro Big Sur. Occasionally, Magic Mouse will become sluggish when all three devices are connected to MacBook Pro through Bluetooth.

Appreciate if anyone can submit this feedback error report to Apple as I could not do so as a non-developer.

Thank you very much.
  • I also have this problem how did you fix it?

Add a Comment
AirPlay seems to have been wiped out on my MacBook Pro since the move to Big Sur...The icon was no longer saved in the toolbar, so I went to the widgets to find it. Instead of saying "AirPlay" there was "Screen Mirroring" which was odd since screenshots online from other users still shows AirPlay. AirPlay worked just fine on my MacBook Pro before using Big Sur and it still works perfectly on both Apple TVs I have when I use my iPhone. This leads me to believe it might have to do with the upgrade since only my MacBook Pro is having this issue.

I ended up calling Apple Support and spent over 3 hours troubleshooting the issue, but no solution yet. Spoke to 3 different techs and it seems like none of them have seen this issue before. I've been patient since I know Big Sur is new, but this is a bit frustrating to say the least. I've restarted my router, both Apple TVs, my MacBook Pro (multiple times each), and still no fix. The screen mirroring does not work, since the AirPlay display in System Preferences keeps switching to "Off" immediately after clicking which Apple TV I want to use it for. I've also made sure the network names match up, so I'm running out of ideas.

Does anyone have any advice? I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.
I have the same issue - very annoying..

I also have this problem. I have tried to log out of big sur and it has not worked.

Edit:

After logging in and out of the icloud web, and restarting my devices.

Everything has started to function normally.
Had the same problem. What worked for me to enable handoff is signing out of iCloud on your Mac and sign-in again. That's it. Now it works as expected
Same Here, I updated Big Sur 3 days ago, and noticed the hand off of safari, clickboard, AirPods Pro switching are not working!

Add me to the list of users affected by this. Purchased an M1 MacBook Pro today and just now found out that no continuity and handoff features work... That's no fun.
Same problem. So annoying
I have a similar problem
I have the same issue with MacBook Pro 2019 and Airplay 1. Airplay 2 with my AppleTV 4k works. All my Airplay 1 devices are detected which means I can select them in Music, but connection doesn't work. Any ideas?

My iPhone 8+ 14.2 works without problems.
Even I have the same issue, it was working fine on betas and release candidate but on final version of Big Sur its not working but luckily My airplay and my airdrop is working.
I had the same issue. I tried several recommendations, toggle Bluetooth, Wifi, Handoff, restart, reset NVRAM. Also tried deleting the Bluetooth preference file. Also like others mentioned, I tried logging in on iCloud but that alone did not solve the issue.

While on iCloud, I found that I cannot locate my Macbook Pro on Find My. It turns out, the Find My was disabled on my Macbook. I enabled it and problem was gone.
  1. Open "System Preferences" -> "Displays"

2. Bottom of the Displays page you will see "Airplay Display" : In the drop down select the <TV/device which support Airplay>

3. Once it is connected, In the Menu bar, you will see two rectangles. you can click this to turn it off. (problem is it shows only you are mirroring). Apple --> This is not intuitive, hope it will be fixed soon.