Random Shutdown in Big Sur (ThunderboltNHI) driver problem

Hey guys,
I have the problem that my 2013 MacBook crashes frequently since upgrading to Big Sur. This means that all of a sudden the screen freezes, the fans turn up and all of a sudden the MacBook is off. In Catalina, through research I found out that it's because of the Thunderbolt driver (AppleThunderboltNHI.Kext etc.), which I had always renamed in Catalina using recovery mode (... .kext.BAK). This solved the problem. But now since Big Sur I can't rename the Kext files anymore because I'm only in read-only mode. So I wanted to ask here if there is a possibility to rename the files again? Otherwise the MacBook still runs really well!

• I had the same problem in my MBP Late 2013. I can't get pass the step mount -uw/Volumes/Macintosh HD with or without quotes. Does anybody with the Macintosh HD hard disk name have solved this? Also, somebody suggested a HDMI Dummy Plug; any luck with this simple solution? Thanks

Add a Comment

Replies

Same problem here: Using a MBP retina late 2013, 16Gb/512Gb/2.3Ghz Quad core i7.
  • screen turns black, with backlight still on, fans start to spin, system crashes

• note: after startup, some interesting processes appear, like MRT, using al lot of CPU power for a short wile. Apple's standard procedure after something indefinite happened?

Suspicious actions (some time) before the problem appeared:
  1. using a corroded power-connector (just replaced)

2. upgrade to Big Sur

3. putting in a new battery

4. using a 45W power adapter.

(in this order)

Attaching ethernet via thunderbolt + power adapter works for me. Not tested without power adapter yet. No further actions like python script etc. Next step is to connect something useful via thunderbolt, like a portable hdd (and attach it to the lid with velcro tape, like my phone). Luckily, I have a macbook air 13" mid 2011 that is still running without problems!

k.r. Olav
@Olav73 the least expensive/obtrusive hardware solution that worked for me was a "dummy" HDMI plug. Currently they are less than $10.
Update: at end of the day I disconnected the ethernet cable from the ethernet adapter, leaving just the pity adapter attached to my thunderbolt port (since I have two TB-ports: I use the port next to the power connector). Also, I disconnected the power cord. Unless reporting otherwise in the next few days, this may be enough for you too.

@ddownn
Thanks for the tip! Guessing you mean a 'dummy display emulator': it is €8,- in the Netherlands and they come in al sorts of colours, even gold finish, which is great! ;-)
@Olav73 that's the one. It kept my computer from crashing for many months until I finally found out about disabling the driver

I just updated to Big Sur and have been following sf98723's guidance. I'm having trouble on step 5 when I attempt to mount MacOS (mine is called Macintosh HD).

Typing:

mount -uw /Volumes/Macintosh HD

Resulted in:

mount: unknown special file or file system /Volumes/Macintosh.

I saw someone added a space between '-' and 'uw' so I tried that:

mount - uw /Volumes/Macintosh HD

Resulted in:

usage: mount [-dfruvw] [-o options] [-t external_type] special mount_point
       mount [-adfruvw] [-t external_type]
       mount [-dfruvw] special | mount_point

Am I doing something wrong here?

Using Macbook Pro 15 Late 2013

• try mount -uw "/Volumes/Macintosh HD' or mount -uw /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD...

• I'm having the same issue and neither of the additional suggestions from @sf98723 worked for me. I'm at a loss. Any update on what I might try to get past step 5 and mount Macintosh HD?

Add a Comment

I'm running into the same issue as @luke101 when I attempt to mount Macintosh HD in my 15" MBP (Late 2014). I've been unable to mount the drive to continue with the procedure.

Any guidance on how I might work around this?

I've tried all of the suggestions regarding " ", , _, and others to try to identify the name of the drive, but the issue still seems to exist because of the space between "Macintosh" & "HD".

Any help would be appreciated, and until I get this figured out my MBP is essentially a brick...that works great on Windows 10 on Bootcamp :(

Is anyone able to verify if the steps mentioned in @sf98723 post work for Macbook Pro late 2013?

So these steps used to work until the latest update. (11.6.1 (20G224))

Before this version these steps would stop the Thunderbolt from starting. But with the latest update it not working for me anymore. I am still getting the reboots.

Has anyone managed to use the steps listed to work on this version?

kextstat | grep NHI

Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil showloaded No variant specified, falling back to release    74    0 0xffffff8001a27000 0x30000    0x30000    com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI (7.2.8) 7032BF7B-7F15-3533-A27B-06F4BBFB99E0 <73 14 13 7 6 5 3 1>

• I have the same problem, the other updates worked okey but with the last one is not disabling anymore. It keeps the driver AppleThunderboltNHI working and after few minutes the macbook autoshotdowns automatically.

• Have the same problem in the latest version. Did anyone solve this?

• same as above.

Hello, did anybody figure a fix for this? My 2014 Macbook Pro sporadically restart. It does NOT do that when I have it plugged to Cinema Display. This started happening when I updated to BigSur. Thanks

I can confirm the fixes listed in this thread work for Big Sur 11.6.1 Macbook Pro Mid 2014.

• Hi, which of the fixes here worked for you? Because I am trying and I cant get it to stop showing in kextstat, after being removed.

also Mbp mid 2014 15inch gpu only integrated.

Add a Comment

Hi can someone please help im getting stuck on the last command i keep getting unknown option '--bootefi'

Hello All, I have followed the steps and able to delete AppleThunderboltNHI.kext but still I have random shut down of my macbook pro mid 2014 model. Any other NHI.kext do I need to remove? Any suggestions would really helpful.

I had been putting off updating my mid-2014 because I didn't want to go through this process again, but I updated without thinking. I now have Big Sur 11.6.5 and the steps for this no longer work because the drive can't be mounted as writeable. I've tried a myriad of things after scouring the web and haven't found anything that works. When I try to delete/rename the AppleThunderboltNHI.kext, it keeps telling me it's a read only file system. I have verified that csrutil and authenticated-root is disabled.

Any suggestions by anyone?

• del

• I have the same problem. Also "Open core legacy patcher" didn't help(

Add a Comment

Big Sur 11.6.5 now working on my Macbook Pro late-2013. The procedure outlined by @sf98723 worked for my 11.1 upgrade, but not 11.6.5. Similar procedure that worked for me - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/big-sur-and-applethunderboltnhi-kext.2267818/page-4?post=30708345#post-30708345. Key items:

1. Look for "rebuilding" output from this command:
         bash-3.2# kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/Mac*HD
		checking collections...
		Warning: com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList was not found!
		considering release out-of-date because of --force
		rebuilding release collections: boot, system
		rebuilding release collections:
			boot kernel collection
			system kext collection
		rebuilding local auxiliary collection

2. Added this step missing from original procedure:
		$ kextcache -i /

Post #64 (open core legacy patcher) from the above link may be easier, but I read it too late.

• guterhund: I'm not sure why it would have helped to add

"kmutil clear-staging" "kextcache -i /"

...after "kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/Mac*HD", since "kextcache -i /" rebuilds only the "auxiliary" cache for the non-Apple, user-installed extensions at /Library/Extensions, not for the extensions at /System/Library/Extensions, which is the directory where AppleThunderboltNHI.kext lives.

Interesting tidbit: Under Big Sur (or at least 11.6.6), when you execute the command "kextcache -i /", Terminal will report that it's instead executing "/usr/bin/kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild", and it will then display "rebuilding local auxiliary collection". But if you try to execute "kmutil install --volume-root / --check-rebuild" yourself, Terminal will respond with "Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=1 "Operation not permitted". Or at least it does on my Late 2013 Macbook Pro 15 Inch running macOS 11.6.6.

• I also noticed that in the "rebuilding" output you show, there's the line "rebuilding local auxiliary collection", so it looks like the command "kmutil install -u --force --volume-root /Volumes/Mac*HD" is also rebuilding the auxiliary cache for  the non-Apple, user-installed extensions at /Library/Extensions, which would seem to make adding "kextcache -i /" unnecessary.

Add a Comment

Guys I want to jump in and give a Big Thank You to the contributors of this thread.

I have a Mac Pro 2013 (trashcan) and everytime I would woud try to upgrade to anything past Catalina I would be hit with severe kernel panics and reboots. I was VERY bad. At first I thought it was caused by my Drobo External storage and its accompanying software (the software is needed to communicate with the storage via Thunderbolt) and since I needed my external storage removing it (and thus upgrading) was out of the question. When Monterey came out I thought surely Apple had taken a look at my dozens and dozens of crash report submissions and fixed the issue. Unfortunately this was not the case and my Mac was crippled by reboots and panics. I disconnected the drive and uninstalled the software and drivers and that gave me a brief reprieve but the random restarts returned shortly after.

It even did this with a freshly installed version of Monterey and so I knew I was in trouble. I was beginning to fear that a GPU problem was the ultimate root of the matter as these GPUs are said to go bad prematurely. I happened upon this thread as I searched for solutions. Since I had no issues whatsoever on Mavericks-Catalina I reasoned that it was primarily an issue with the OS even if it caused my hardware to misbehave.

I followed the steps listed above and changed the name of the offending kext and I havent had a single freeze or reboot since.

My monitor has always used thunderbolt (mini-DP to HDMI) so I know its working without issue (at least for putting out video). I will reinstall/reconnect the Drobo software and enclosure in a day or 2 after ensuring I have a stable crash free system. Hope all goes well!

Thank you again