After upgrade to Big Sur git stopped working

After upgrade to Big Sur git stopped working and it keeps prompting to install CLT. According to Xcode-select, see output below CLT is already installed:

sbezverk@sbezverk-mac-2 ~ % sudo xcode-select --install
xcode-select: error: command line tools are already installed, use "Software Update" to install updates

sbezverk@sbezverk-mac-2 ~ % git

sh: line 1:   772 Bus error: 10           /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -sdk macosx -find git 2> /dev/null

git: error: sh -c '/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild -sdk macosx -find git 2> /dev/null' failed with exit code 35328: (null) (errno=No such file or directory)

xcode-select: Failed to locate 'git', requesting installation of command line developer tools.

Any help to solve this issue would be great.
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of sbezverk Down vote post of sbezverk
34k views

Replies

I was having the same issue.
I managed to get it fixed by running

sudo xcode-select -switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

• Thanks for posting this mclngl. After almost 3days trying to get scikit-learn installed and running into issues with repeated ask to install command line tools, I stumbled on this and it fixed the issue!

• Thanks. You just made my day.

• Thanks, you saved the day!

Thanks! I had the same problem and it solved the problem.
Add a Comment
Thanks mclngl !
Same here. However, got another error when run the xcode-select

Code Block
MBP$ sudo xcode-select -switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools
xcode-select: error: invalid developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools'

Do I need to reinstall the xcode after upgrade to Big Sur?

Thanks @mcingi and I think I think it is better to up vote the correct answer as this makes it easy for other people to find.
For those experiencing problem after running

$ sudo xcode-select -switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Try downloading the Xcode command line tools from -> Apple Developers Command line tools and repeat the xcode-select command above. All the best !

Hit the same issue, needed to upgrade the command line tools version prior to running the xcode-select command.
All worked fine afterwards.
I am having the same issue over and over again...
I will solve the "Git not found" error with @mcingi and @juniorme answers then it will work fine until one day Git is missing again...
Am I the only one who is having this problem repeatedly? This is the 3rd time it went missing on my MacBook Pro.
git and command line tools disappear every time I update Big Sur. Very annoying! And running

sudo xcode-select -switch /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

results in error.
Me too on three different machines - every time I update Big Sur it requires a reinstall.
Yeah it borked itself right before a lecture this time - just goes totally missing whenever I update the OS

every time I update Big Sur it requires a reinstall

Well, that’s annoying. Did you file a bug about that? If so, what’s the bug number?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"
I get this too on BigSur - so annoying, I recently switched to MAC from Windows and I'm really dissapointed on the number of bugs I hit. I get random restarts(aka blue screen) every couple of days, so many features just don't work it's unbelievable.
Happened again after update to 11.2.3.
Happens every time I update big sur as well. And yes, it happened with 12.2.3
Same. Happens every time I update the OS. Major pain.