Other Storage Taking Too Much Space

Hi Dev Team,

I don’t see many answers on this topic but this seems to be a real concern for many users.

I went from my IPhone 8+ with 256gb and I had 39gb used, about 7gb was other storage no big deal. I decided to go with an iPhone 12 Pro Max 128gb. I now have 60gb used of which 26gb is other storage!!! I have done 3 clean installs from different iCloud backups and no change. I do not buy an iPhone to see half of my storage being used by other and system storage.
Also I do not explain why I now see some gb with photos and messages as it is normally all stored on iCloud (I have 2.2tb). Same thing I do not subscribe to iCloud or AppleOne to have data store on my iPhone while it should be all on iCloud.
I did not have this on my 8+. I called Apple but they were clueless...simply telling me that it is normal and that it may take a few days for things to get back to normal...it is not true.
is that a bug? My iPhone flash memory corrupted?Will this be taken into consideration?
Anyone else having this issue please post.

Thanks much!
X
  • I am having the same problem. I don't understand the “system data” took 60.85 GB In my iPhone. Total GB I HAVE 128

I AM LITERALLY LEFT WITH NOTHING.

If anyone finds a solution, share it with me

• Same problem here, and just got off chatting with the useless Apple chat support executives. Idiots wasted my time and just suggested to do factory reset followed by backup!! On my iphone, it happened because I was trying to send large files by maildrop. I was trying to send 500+ pics/videos, having size of about 3.5 GB using email/mail drop. I tried 3-4 times, and Every time the process failed it kept keeping that much space blocked!! So after 3 attempts I got left with 0 space and about 13 GB of data showing in “Other System Data”! And that, after I deleted so many apps, files, to make way for more space!! Basically, Apple keeps storing the deleted file in cache, and doesn’t even allow us to delete those!! Btw, I already tried the usual suggestions, and they all fail- clearing safari cache, disconnecting mail accounts, etc etc. Nothing works, and I don’t want to go for Facroey reset. What a ****** situation!

• I was in the same situation but I found out that restarting your phone helps reduce the amount of storage taken up by the system data. To restart your phone you need to go to settings and when you get to setting scroll and press general. Then scroll again and you will see an option that says ‘shut down’ in blue. Click that and your phone will restart. This doesn’t get rid of any of the data on your phone just the stuff that isn’t needed. Your phone will go black (how it looks when it is turned off) then hold on the power button until you see the apple logo on your screen. Now wait for your phone to fully turn on and check if it helped

Accepted Reply

Side note if this can help. This is getting worse as soon as I disconnect from iCloud and reconnect. I wanted to try this to see if it help. But after doing it twice within 2 days, once I reconnect the other storage is going dramatically up. I was at 25gb of other storage. Juste disconnect ans reconnected I am at 40gb of other storage. Time ans leaving the iPhone plugged in does seem to help! Please help!
  • Same thing happened to me

• This site help me a lot ---------> [https://not.justsolutionsproducts.com/how-to-fix-other-storage-taking-too-much-space-easily/)

• I’m having some serious issues. I barely have any apps on. My phone. When I tried to do a software update I couldn’t because the system data was taking up 25 gigs somehow. Idk how tf that is even possible. Anyone know why and how to fix please your help would be very appreciated thankyou

Replies

I was struggling with having over 500gb used of 1TB with over 300gb dedicated to "Other"

Initially, I had 200gb worth of videos that I offloaded, then removed from the deleted folder. Seems that the needle didn't move much and for nearly a day, it stated I had 85gb worth of videos left.

After seeing the alarm comment with 35gb of data, it hit me.

I was using FilmIC Pro to record some of my videos because it has a "pause" feature which is really nice. I do have it set to save to my photos album, but FilmIc uses a system folder (maybe because it is hidden) to record the video before it transfers over to Photos. FilmIC can also be setup to not sent anything to the photos album. It has its own camera roll. So, it is a matter of choice. I choose for it to go to the photos folder so that I can see it immediately.

So why didn't FilmIc clear the cache I wondered. I rebooted the phone earlier and it didn't work. So then, I opened up the photos app, looked to ensure nothing was in deleted folder, then swiped up to close the program. Then I saw the space Photos used drop from 85gb to 6.8gb.

Okay, good!

So then I went to FilmIC Pro and looked to see if there were any videos that the app was hanging on to. Yep, there was ONE 9-second clip. Once I deleted that 9 second clip and made sure nothing was in FimIC Pro's camera roll, I exited the program and checked and wow, the storage got cleaned up!

No more issues!

It just goes to show that even with 1TB of storage on the phone, that it can be possible for an app to go rogue and start eating up the space if not managed. Apple provides us the tools but when an App utilizes a system folder and not the "App" data area, then it doesn't report correctly. I will continue to use FilmIC Pro. Just have to watch out.

Oh, and another thing that really ate up my space (which actually did reflect in the app) was podcasts. I can't find an overall setting to NOT download podcast content. I see it for each individual podcast so now I am concerned about my other devices!

Update after posting this - I found in the settings where I can prevent downloads of ALL podcasts that I follow. This will help a lot!

Hi, after one month of claims today I get a real answer . with all this info I’ve I’ll open a formal claim. the secret is the space used that is not showed in your devices . today I get the answer that this is a normal behaviour and no plains to solve . I have lost 2 devices because of this . One was with recent backup but the other totally lost. Start again from 0.

Hi. The same always happens to me too. On my iPad, I have 32GB and approximately 78% of it is used for the 'Other' part. I understand you, but I don't think there is a way to fix this. I have tried many different ways, but it doesn't work. I sometimes put my iPad to power off a few mins and after open it again. Sometimes it removes some of the 'Other' place, sometimes not, but I still recommend you to do the same way if U want.

The master key point that how you can delete system data on your iPhone or iPad.

Clear safari browsing data Clear 3rd party app caches Permanent delete photos. Offload apps Siri and search  Transfer and reset iPhone   For more detailed info read. See the video on Thegsmsolution Youtube.

I have been having the same issue on my 128gb iPhone 12, with it showing “other” at 48-55gb of usage. I’ve been at my wits end. So I started deleting apps one at a time. I was shocked to find that when I deleted the Lightroom app that my “other” went from 49.98 to ZERO!!!

so if anyone is an iPhone Lightroom user. Might be worth a shot to delete and reinstall and see if it helps solve your issue!

The solution is to sign out from your apple ID, then let it delete the system data attached with the apple ID, dont worry, you wont lose any data, just sign out and sign in. It will free up your storage from storage data

i went from this

to this

I have the same problem, I have a iPhone XR, with 64gb of less than one year old. The other storage is 37Gb big, the memory is completely full, can’t even open my mail. I have offloaded almost all apps. It seemed that with offloading the problem got worse… One month ago I had the same. A reset reduced other storage to 5gb, but I am not looking forward to a reset every month. Yesterday, the other storage was 36gb, today already added another 1gb. It is really unacceptable. Apple support only suggest a factory reset. My old iPhone SE with 16gb is even more useful than this phone!!

Oh wow!!! I was having the same issues on my iPhone X(64GB). I have tried everything to delete the system data which takes up (33.4GB) of my iPhone storage making all my used storage to be (54.4GB) of (64GB), but i still end up with the same amounts of GB taken by the system data.I finally got a solution to it and I couldn’t be more happier right now. What I did was to check and confirm truly if the apps on my phone took the storage displayed by apple in my iphone storage. Truly everything was correct but I decided to delete my VOICE MEMO APP which document and data was (3.3MB) but when I checked the VOICE MEMO APP, I couldn’t find any data or files in the app which resulted to deletion of the VOICE MEMO APP. To my greatest surprise, my data storage which was initially (33GB) reduced to (6.29GB). I couldn’t believe it until I restarted my phone and checked again, I got the same (6.29GB) that the system data reduced to. Well, If I’m to bring up a suggestion, I think one of the apps already installed on iPhone is causing the problem. Just try to check and delete anyone of the already installed apps on your phone by apple. When you delete one of the apps and still get the same problem, I’ll suggest you move on to the next already installed apps until you finally find the one taking up the space. I really hope this will help someone out there looking for how to get rid of the huge iPhone storage taken by the system data. ✌️

• @Vegas_armani Thank you for the tip. Removing voice memo took system storage from 43.53 GB to 6.14 GB. I offloaded all apps except for 5 or 6 and deleted many photos and videos. That process took the storage from 35 to 43. I was frustrated to say the least.

• It’s helped in my case too. Went from 68gb system data to 8gb. Thanks!

• This is nuts! 40gbs of “other” system data went away when I deleted the voice notes app. Thanks!!

what I am ment to do? This is absolutely ridiculous

im sorry if this answer is late for you but i think i have found a legitimate solution which is rather simple AF. this worked for me but im not sure if it will work for everyone.

download itunes app on your computer, plug your phone into the pc, and follow the prompts like “trust this device”, etc.

click the small iphone icon usually located on the top left.

then simply hit on “sync” which should be located on the bottom right. this takes a few moments.

as soon as i hit “sync”, the system storage on my new phone went down by 25 gb instantly. i hope this works for everyone here as its very annoying to begin with.

Same issue. I noticed all that space used to be taken by Photos and Videos. When i disconnected photos it didn’t free up space, rather all of that turned gray to system used data. This is ridiculous.

reconnecting iPhoto, now it shows 2gb photos, and nearly everything else is taken by system. What gives??

deleting voice memo app didn’t work for me

Currently System files takes up 65GB

This is not acceptable!!

I had a similar problem. I phone XR with 64 GB of space. On the iPhone Store menu, there has a space of 30 GB. But iPhone always showed a message that is running out of memory. When someone calls me through Whatsapp, I can't pick up the call and the call suddenly dropped. When I access the photo, the quality of the picture will be reduced, and I can't take a picture with the error message that iPhone running out the space.

Every time open Whatsapp, the apps only can be accessed for a few seconds then off.

Does someone here have the solutions?

Same issue here. I just recently purchased a 13 Pro. I received a notification last week saying - I’m out of Data! As I look at my storage, I have more than 33GB being used by “Other System Data.” I’ve attempted multiple times to clear the system with only barely minimal changes. What the HECK is going on???

• I'm tracking the SystemData since May more or less every day. The graph is like a saw tooth: SysData grows about 6GB per day. Then the system behaves strange. Everything is slow and laggy and eventually the SysDatat goes back to normal (like 10GB) and the cycle begins from start. I have no clue what you can do about this. But deleting your browser cache, it is not.

Add a Comment