Trouble with installing cocoapods

I am getting the same error over and over again and I do not know why. I tried several ways to fix it, but nothing works.
Code Block sudo gem install cocoapods
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing cocoapods:
ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
    current directory: /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/ffi-1.13.1/ext/ffi_c
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/ruby -I /Library/Ruby/Site/2.6.0 -r ./siteconf20201202-2686-t7m7nb.rb extconf.rb
checking for ffi.h... * extconf.rb failed *
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of necessary
libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more details.  You may
need configuration options.
Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--without-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/bin/$(RUBY_BASE_NAME)
--with-ffi_c-dir
--without-ffi_c-dir
--with-ffi_c-include
--without-ffi_c-include=${ffi_c-dir}/include
--with-ffi_c-lib
--without-ffi_c-lib=${ffi_c-dir}/lib
--enable-system-libffi
--disable-system-libffi
--with-libffi-config
--without-libffi-config
--with-pkg-config
--without-pkg-config
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:467:in `try_do': The compiler failed to generate an executable file. (RuntimeError)
You have to install development tools first.
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:585:in `block in try_compile'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:534:in `with_werror'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:585:in `try_compile'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:1109:in `block in have_header'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:959:in `block in checking_for'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:361:in `block (2 levels) in postpone'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:331:in `open'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:361:in `block in postpone'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:331:in `open'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:357:in `postpone'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:958:in `checking_for'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/lib/ruby/2.6.0/mkmf.rb:1108:in `have_header'
from extconf.rb:10:in `system_libffi_usable?'
from extconf.rb:42:in `<main>'
To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can be found here:
  /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/extensions/universal-darwin-19/2.6.0/ffi-1.13.1/mkmf.log
extconf failed, exit code 1
Gem files will remain installed in /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/gems/ffi-1.13.1 for inspection.
Results logged to /Library/Ruby/Gems/2.6.0/extensions/universal-darwin-19/2.6.0/ffi-1.13.1/gem_make.out

Something might be wrong with Ruby, but I could not figure out what I should do to fix it.
  • I was facing the same issue but this command has fixed issue for me.

Try this command and hopefully you will be able to resolve your issue.

sudo gem install -n /usr/local/bin cocoapods -v 1.8.4

• This worked. Thank you so very much.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Depending on some aspects this might work for you, if you don't mind using the "SUDO" command:

sudo gem install -n /usr/local/bin cocoapods -v 1.8.4

Latest CocoaPods 1.10.0 won't work.
  • Having same issue with my mac, anyone please help...

• I really don't know how to thank you I spent 4 hours trying to solve this problem Thank you with all my heart

• Man thanks. You are a lifesaver.

Replies

$brew update then $brew upgrade then $brew uninstall cocoapods then $brew install cocoapods then $brew link --overwrite cocoapods

This is what I followed All you need to make sure is you have the latest brew and then install cocoapods

$brew update

then

$brew upgrade

then

$brew uninstall cocoapods

then

$brew install cocoapods

then

$brew link --overwrite cocoapods

This is what I followed All you need to make sure is you have the latest brew and then install cocoapods

1.Check the version of Ruby installed on your Mac

ruby -v

2.Install the Ruby Version Manager rvm.

curl -L https://get.rvm.io | bash -s stable

3.Install the latest version of Ruby

rvm install ruby- lastest_version

4.rvm use ruby- version

5.sudo gem install cocoapods

if your faceing any issue with installing rvm.

1.Check the version of brew installed on your Mac

brew --version

2.If Homebrew is not installed, you will need to install it first.

/bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/HEAD/install.sh)"

3.Retry Ruby Installation

rvm install ruby- lastest_version

That's it!!

I was trying to install this on an old MacBook Air (OS Monterey) . Lots of similar issues. Found a lot of posts here and on StackOverflow. End result, this worked. Posting here as currently valid. Navigate to where Ruby is installed. Check the log file mentioned in the error message, that should be a clue. Run this command - $ ??? % cd /Applications/XCode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.6/usr/include/ruby-2.6.0

% cd ruby %ls ( Check if config.h is present in this directory) . If you see it, proceed to -

% sudo gem install -n/usr/local/bin cocoapods -v 1.8.4