Big Sur reproducible DNS resolution issues

Hello,

Since the upgrade to Big Sur, I noticed network issues, regardless which network device is used Wi-Fi, LAN, it does not matter.

After some testing the issue is now reproducible as follows:
  • Mount a samba share and copy a file to it, in my case it was PDF file with size of approx. 1.6 MB

• The copy process does not finish and any samba share is no longer accessible

• Furthermore DNS resolution no longer works: e.g. executing dig apple.com no longer works, opening any website in any browser just times out, etc.

• Strangely enough ping apple.com works (...?)

• If the browser has cached a domain name, the website opens just fine

What I tried so far to investigate the issue:
  • I scrolled over the logs in the Console.app .. found nothing

• Killed the macOS services mDNSResponderHelper, mDNSResponder .. nope

• Flushed the DNS cache: sudo dscacheutil -flushcache .. nothing

• Search the WWW for related issues and found these: Big Sur Network Connectivity Issue, Big Sur DNS Issue .. these two might be related, but who knows..

• So far, only a reboot fixes this...

Can anyone else reproduce this issue ?
Any further ideas ?

Best Regards
SH
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of shoelzle Down vote post of shoelzle
34k views
  • I'll add my me to to the list. Since Big Sur - but not the original release, not sure which one in particular. Several different DNS related issues:

Cisco AnyConnect client 4.9.04043. DNS is routed through the tunnel. Works great. System sleeps because I walk away, tunnel disconnects. Tunnel reconnects upon wake, DNS resolution is broken. HUP the mDNSResponder and everything is back to normal. This never happens if the laptop doesn't sleep.Safari will randomly have issues with DNS and return NXDOMAIN, even though DNS resolution via dig and ping are working fine. But it doesn't do it with pages that are already cached. Other browsers will work fine when Safari is broken. Need to close Safari and re-open to resolve this issue.
Add a Comment

Replies

Just to add to this thread - also experience the same problem since upgrading to BigSur in the last month. No issues before upgrade. Have to reboot several times a day to resolve. Network connectivity completely drops out through both wired and wireless. Problem does appear to be DNS - browser cannot resolve hostnames. I have noticed that often the problem is triggered when I start Docker Desktop, however I have had it intermittently fail at other times (presumably when some other service starts that I haven't been able to identity?)

I also experienced a DNS-related issue when using ssh to connect to my work remote server, both on BigSur 11.3.1, and even now after an update to 11.4. In my case the issue manifests with an ssh connection hanging for an infinite amount of time on my mac, while it works flawlessly when using other computers (also when connected to the same wifi network as my mac). Strangely, despite the ssh connection doesn't work, pinging or browsing the web pages hosted under the same server do. Eventually I had to use a workaround solution, which was to do ssh using the IP of the target server instead of the domain name.

I noticed I get the issue when I connect (disconnect?) my iPhone to my mac book. DNS became broken for my VPN so I must restart the connection.

I also experienced this weird DNS resolution problem. It appeared to me as more than one second of wait time for a web page. I was able to reproduce the behavior in Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. Both Norton VPN, which is included in Norton 360, and AnyConnect have this weird problem.

Quick Fix: Change your power plan and disable sleep mode (or greatly extend the timeout for it) on connected to power & to what you can tolerate on battery, understanding this will impact battery life for the latter.

This seems to prevent the bug from triggering.

Note - I have zero issue like this on my M1 Mac that does NOT have Cisco VPN installed. (Both are M1's, one's a pro and one's an air since I didn't need the extra GPU.)

This problem has been bothering me on my corporate MacBook Pro since I got it. As people in this thread, I've been frequently rebooting to temporarily fix the problem. Today, after upgrading to macOS 12, the problem started occurring almost instantly after logging in. E.g. I could search for something in Google, only to find that DNS resolution was already broken when trying to open one of the results.

I then remembered something they taught us 20 years ago, during our training for first line support for the largest Belgian ISP: remove the network adapter in device manager, then reboot and reinstall the driver. This was obviously a solution for Windows problems, but I figured it couldn't hurt to try doing something similar on macOS. So I went to the Network settings, removed the Wi-Fi service, rebooted, and afterwards created a new Wi-Fi service. I have about 4h of uptime since then, and DNS resolution is still working. Too soon to tell if it really fixed the longstanding issue, but going from breaking in just minutes to have working DNS resolution for hours definitely looks promising.

• Thank you! I upgrades from 2019 MBP 16" to 2021 M1 Max 16", this was the solution. Removing Wifi network, restart, and creating WiFi network has resolved all odd DNS behavior.

Add a Comment

mDNSResponder is just a disaster constantly have to unload/load, why not keep it simple and go back to /etc/resolv.conf

I upgraded my macbook to 2021 Pro M1, no lucks, already tried every solution here, no one works for me.

I am also experiencing this problem, not sure, but likely since I updated to Monterey last week or so. I am on an 2016 MacBook Pro. I also have Cisco VPN installed, I'm curious if this is the case for everyone?

Still, this is really an disastrous issue, having to restart the MacBook about twice every day, often times at occurrences when I am busy and need the MacBook to work.

• I uninstalled Cisco AnyConnect now since this was bothering too much and I never actually used AnyConnect on my Laptop. It at least fixed the issue after I uninstalled it, let's see if it ever will pop up again..

Add a Comment

Same thing has been happening to me. I have Cisco AnyConnect installed, as well as Little Snitch. After upgrading to macOS 12.2 problem is more frequent. The only thing that works for me is a reboot.

• After another DNS lockup happened again, I tried a full uninstallation of my Cisco AnyConnect (it was v4.9.06037). The DNS came back immediately after the uninstallation, without the need of a reboot.

Add a Comment

I am having the same issues. I've been using Cisco AnyConnect since macOS 12.1, now on 12.2, and the only thing that is reliable enough, is a restart.

Not VPN Client rated so related, I have the same issue using GlobalProtect, only reboot usually helps super annoying…

In our corporate network moving to Big Sur took much troubleshooting and developing a matrix to resolve. With Cisco AnyConnect installed with Sophos Endpoint protection essentially broke DNS on the machine, our domain was no longer reachable. The system extensions on the same machine clashed causing the issue, after much troubleshooting removing either of the system extensions resolved the DNS issue.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect49/upgrade/AnyConnect_macOS_BigSur_Advisory.html

https://community.sophos.com/intercept-x-endpoint/f/recommended-reads/116397/sophos-mac-endpoint-how-to-configure-jamf-privacy-preferences-for-10-15-compatibility

I logged support requests with all vendors, we decided to move away from Sophos Endpoint and use Jamf Protect with no system extensions / DNS issues.

Network admin here, just switch to the MAC. Pretty good with linux but new to mac. I have the cisco anyconnect and the global protect install on monterey 12.3 . This dns issue is pretty bad. ping work with every IP but nslookup to a DNS get stuck almost like the dns request get stuck.

We are experiencing a similar issue with MacOS 12.3 and later when Cisco AnyConnect 4.10.04071 or later is installed (incl. 4.10.05095).

After install of AnyConnect

1. Ping to IP address works
  2. DNS to any site fails
  3. netstat output for TCP and DNS sockets remain under 100 count.

Cisco DART report shows "Description: DNSPLUGINMGR_ERROR_OPEN_PLUGIN_FAILED".

After uninstalling AnyConnect, DNS resolution is fine.

We reported issue to Apple and opened a case, submitting the information from the Capture_Data.dmg tools and Apple after a day moved the case to the Enterprise Team. Now they won't communicate with us. If anyone is experiencing this same issue on the M1 but not the Intel platform please let us know.

• Hi Kernow, we are experiencing a similar issue. Did you receive any feedback from Apple?

Add a Comment