Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of superbro919 Down vote post of superbro919
83k views
  • I'm facing the same issue. Please fix this ASAP.

• As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form Apple Feedback form According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• 1 to this thread - I upgraded (or so I thought) my Intel Mac mini to the M1 Mini so I could get rid of my eGPU - only to find there is no 3840 x 1620 HiDP resolution on the M1 like there is on my Intel Mini with the eGPU.

To say I am disappointed is a **massive** understatement...

Please fix this Apple!!!
This is rubbish! Fix this issue you bastards! I can't understand why we can't add custom resolutions or enable HiDPI for 1/2 of the scaled resolution
Have they fixed it yet with 11.3?
I checked with Big Sur 11.3, but this problem does not fix, very disappointing.
  • 1 for this. why can't Apple have the same supported resolutions on an Intel Mac on their M1 Mac. Is there a change in how their 8-core GPU renders vs the one with AMD or Intel GFX cards?

I was keeping hope that Apple would fix this problem by Big Sur 11.3. But turn out there is nothing happened regarding this bug. And it is very frustrated and disappointed when can Apple fix this problem. I am connecting the M1 MacMini with XDR display. Thanks
Why Apple cant give an answer, when so many users have the same problem!? It would be enough to know if anybody is working on this issue or not.
This issue is infuriating. I was looking forward to M1 and Big Sur... only to have my perfect Intel Mac mini and BenQ 4K monitor turn into an accessibility setting on 2560x1440. The scaling is ridiculous.

Is there any plan to fix this, and in the near future? Or should I just move on to another OS and platform since I have average eyesight and a good monitor?

4K is way too tiny, 256x1440 is way too big, and there's no options or middle ground between these two for OS UI scaling.
Installing SwitchResX and choosing the highest resolution worked for me.
There's a fix on Macrumors. Works for me on a 2560x1440 monitor. It involves SwitchResX, but not in the ways that have been mentioned previously. Can achieve a custom HIDPI res on M1.

"Sorted! I have got HIDPI working on an external QHD monitor at whatever res I want on an M1 MBP!
Also @ 144hz, despite preferences reporting different. Will also work for your Ultrawide.

SwitchResX -> create a custom resolution for INTERNAL display. Make it 2x the resolution you want, i.e. 3840x2160 for 1080p. Save it and reboot.

Then, connect your laptop up to your monitor. Select the SwitchResX icon in the menu bar at the top. Activate the custom HIDPI res for your internal monitor.

Once you've done that, press "turn video mirroring on", also in the switchres menu bar. This makes macOS behave weirdly, but it does the trick! Obviously you can only use your external monitor, and not your internal one (they show the same thing) but who cares."
same issue here, I am using 2k Acer monitor with MacBook Air m1 and I can get the maximum resolution with my monitor but with ant size UI and fonts, no HIDPI scaling options here.. shame
I am using a 2K Dell Monitor S3220DGF at its native resolution 1440p and everything is fuzzy and blurry. I am out of options on what I can do to make it looks crisp and sharp. I just moved from Windows to macOS after a lifetime on Windows just to find out i can't use my external monitor without getting a headache
any upgrade?
Still a massive problem. Come on Apple!!! This is a really really essential and basic need. Why does my 1080p 6 year old monitor look better than a new 2k monitor. You couldn't make it up. Please sort it out so I can actually see what I'm doing. The text is so small I don't think even the borrowers would be able to see it at this point.

FIX THE PROBLEM APPLE ****! I DONT WANT TO BUY A NEW MONITOR JUST BECAUSE OF THIS! I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE UI AS HIDPI ON MY 2K DISPLAY OR CREATE CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS THAT CAN HAVE HIDPI OPTIONS ENABLED! APPLE DONT BECOME TRASH YOU CAN DO THIS ON WINDOWS AND SET THE UI TO 125% WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE