Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of superbro919 Down vote post of superbro919
83k views
  • I'm facing the same issue. Please fix this ASAP.

• As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form Apple Feedback form According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

I wanted to buy an external monitor for my MacBook Air M1, but now I just don’t know what to buy. Is there one compatible?

Add a Comment

Solved just buying the $79 USB-c to HDMI apple's adaptor... 😡

• Which monitor do you have?

• Lucky guy! ;) For me this solution was not working. Bought also the Adapter but it changed nothing...

Add a Comment

Got the same problem. All third-party solutions seem too buggy. Never had a a problem like that with apple.

• I got it kinda running using BetterDummy

Add a Comment

Just registered here especially for this topic. A few months ago I bought a new Ultra Wide Dell monitor. I have a MacBook on Intell chip and everything was fine with monitor and mac. Super clear and vivid picture, perfect fonts rendering, and so on. But just a few days ago I got a Mac mini with M1 chip and after connecting it to my monitor I was shocked. Blurry fonts and icons and as a result eye strain and headache. I simply can't work. This is just awful. And it was made by intention. Why? Why do I need to spend extra money on the 4k monitor which is not needed for me? This is just insulting for your users. Fix it!

First i could not believe my Eyes! Nearly after one whole year there is a working solution! And this showas again, that HiDPI ist quite possible, only Apple is hurting his users! An thats really really sad!

Here ist the solution via Betterdummy:

https://www.macworld.com/article/549493/how-to-m1-mac-1440p-display-hidpi-retina-scaling.html

• Its a little bit tricky and not really perfect , because you have to play a little with the settings, but at least it works fine. With separat displays and not only mirrored.

I have the first Macbook air M1 from beginning of 2021 and an IIyama 34" Display with native 3440x1440 resolution working now with HiDPI. I am so happy now!

• I have a 34" Mi Monitor It's 3440x1440p with 144hz. 2 issues with the BetterDummy. First one is, it's 60 hz, which is not a BIG deal. But second issue is making me not able to use it. Mouse feels very laggy when BetterDummy is active. I have an M1 Macbook Air and I just ordered M1 Max, this issues are making me consider to cancel the order...

• Thx for your feedback. When I am using it a few days I also found some smaller problems, specially when I connect or disconnect my Display. Then I also have to change some Settings again. So its not the best way, but I can live with it...

I am very glad that a solution has appeared. But why should I be so perverted so that my eyes don't hurt from the monitor picture? Ah, Apple?

As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form https://www.apple.com/feedback/ . According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• Maybe comment this answer right on the original post, so that more people see it and send feedback?

Add a Comment

+1. Using my 1440p monitor (Gigabyte M27Q) with my Windows laptop gives very crisp text and UI elements. It's blurry and fuzzy when connected to the new 2021 MacBook with M1 Max. Please fix, this is a ridiculous experience for pros, Apple! We shouldn't need to resort to third-party solutions such as BetterDummy (which doesn't support higher than 60Hz refresh rate, which I'd like to use on my monitor)

same here with Samsung Gaming LS49A950U monitor 49" 🤦‍♂️$4K laptop is not able to show sharp text

Please Apple for the love of everything you consider holy, fix this issue, it's really embarrassing that you cannot scale QHD monitor without having to look at blurry text and get a headache, this is unacceptable.

• Same thing here, M1 mini connected to Dell p3421w showing correct resolution, but somehow blurry fonts causing headacke and eye strain. Same konitor works perfectly with lennovo pc, same cable.

m1 with samsung ultrawide (s65ua) worked flawlessly.

Add a Comment

i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same problem on MBP M1 Max. It don´t support the resolution of 4096x2160 on my LG 31MU97 external Monitor.

Pleeeeeeease

it's April 1st 2022 and this problem still hasn't been fixed by Apple. writing from the 2020 M1 Macbook Pro Base Model macOS Monterey 12.3

4/22/2022. Still not fixed; writing from 2022 M1 Max Macbook Pro, Monterey 12.3.1. I wrote to Feedback as HiDPILover suggested. We'll see.