Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of superbro919 Down vote post of superbro919
83k views
  • I'm facing the same issue. Please fix this ASAP.

• As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form Apple Feedback form According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

APPLE - RESPOND TO THIS NOW!

If you are not going to do anything about this problem, FINE - JUST SAY SO - because there are MANY people like me (not only this thread) having multiple issues getting ANY DISPLAY to look half decent on M1 Macs. I've gone through 3 monitors already, and months of searching for an answer - AND NOTHING. Do I buy a ANOTHER different monitor? do I wait and suffer with the garbage display output on M1 Macs? do I sell my Mac mini? This is sickening. Lawsuit should come next in my opinion, and I'll be right there. Had I known this would be an ongoing issue with my Mac mini, I NEVER WOULD HAVE PURCHASED IT. - and I currently regret it in a BIG way.

I never thought I'd say this - but this might be the very last straw for me and the Apple ecosystem.
  • Apple answer to you - buy 4k monitor

Add a Comment
I registered here just to leave this message. Apple fix it! It is not possible to work with the QHD monitor. SwitchResX doesn't help either, and the standard zoom change is something terrible! Make it possible to use the M1 hdpi mode!
Please somebody file a lawsuit for this issue already! Apple deserves to be sued and humiliated for blocking us from using HiDPI on QHD displays even with 3rd party workarounds that have existed for years! Disgusting apple! SOMEONE PLEASE SUE THEM ASAP
Just bought a M1 Macbook and having the same issue with a 2K display.
No scaling options at all, not even with 3rd party tools. The laptop itself was way expensive, there is no reason to buy another monitor if this one is working perfectly with any OS in the world, even older Macs.
Sign here and share:

http ://chng.it/mvKSgMcM

Maybe Apple will think about it...
  • Signed. I want to use M1 Mac mini as a media center, but can’t drive video streaming at full resolution. Instead have to scale down to 720p to even see description of what I want to stream. Very sad!

Add a Comment

Same issue here, received Lenovo ThinkVision P24Q-20 1440p monitor, connected to my MacBook Pro M1 13" ant no normal scaling options, no third party software like SwitchResX or RDM can change that also. So either the font is too small, or the image is too blurry, anyway getting slowly blind working like this.

Just signed up to support this question! really a big issue... :(

Apple! You must return hidpi support for external monitor. My LG 34UM88C-P 3440x1440 work fine with macbook pro 2017, but not macbook pro m1.

I am very upset by this fact. in the future I plan to abandon any new apple products.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of nsi Down vote reply of nsi

I noticed after my monitors wake from sleeping the HiDPI scale started working for my Dell UP2715K connected via Thunderbolt 3 on my M1 mac mini.

The monitors had to be in screensaver mode (20min) before sleeping. Forcing them to sleep and waking doesn't work. Something able being left alone for 20 or more min seems to fix the issue.

• Please get out. This whole page is for those who unable to use high DPI on sub 4K displays. Please take your  Dell UP2715K and shove it up yours. PLEASE SOMEONE FIND A WAY TO USE HIDPI ON <4K DISPLAYS. PLEASE SOMEONE

Add a Comment

Same problem on mac mini M1 with LG 27GL850. I cannot change the scale, only the resolution, but if I do all appears blurred. It is unacceptable!

I have done it! I got HiDPI working on my mac mini connected to a benq 2k monitor. I've got options of 720p, 1080p, 1440p HiDPI and more. I had to buy a dummy hdmi plug costing about $10. Then created a startup resolution of 1920 x 1080 with scaled base at 3840 x 2160 on switchresX. That enabled HiDPI options on the dummy plug and now I'm mirroring that to my mac mini's primary display. At least now I don't have to spend $500-1000 on a new display.

• Wow, that's good news. Thanks But it won't work on laptops with M1 due to built-in display and limitations on the number of connected displays.

• Thank you very much! Do you think it will work with a HDMI-Plug 4096x2160 @ 60Hz? Thats what i found at the amazon...

• @Flachbau Yes it works with HDMI plugs 4096 x 2160 @ 60hz. Just make sure to specify the startup resolution and scaled base resolution on switchsresX for the plug not your monitor.

@james on laptops you'll have to mirror your own laptop screen to the monitor and make sure that is displaying a 16:9 HiDPI resolution

Add a Comment

Yeah +1 to this.

This is issue is resolved for mac mini users with a simple <$10 dummy plug like the one below

• This does not solve the problem with the type-C connection. I have a mouse/keyboard/usb peripherals connected to the monitor. And everything is transferred via a usb-c cable to the laptop + the laptop is charged immediately. Only the image will work with hdmi

I'm waiting for a decision from Apple..

Add a Comment

I demand a statue be erected in my honour for this very solution

Had the same problem with scaling. Got the 4K portable monitor UPERFECT https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-UPERFECT-Automatic-3840x2160-Integrated/dp/B083ZFG1PF?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Connect it to old MacBook Pro 2015 via HDMI and everything is ok, I got a scaling options.

Connect to M1 MacBook Air via USB-C and everything goes bad. The "Default for display" resolution is incorrect (on old macbook everything is ok), and i can't set scale for display. If i choose 1080p, then the resolution goes 1080p and text go very blurry and uncomfortable to working with. I updated macOS to latest available version 11.4 and the problem still remain. Does anybody tries on beta Monterey?

Also i tried connect the display to M1 macbook through HDMI via hub, but everything the same.