Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of superbro919 Down vote post of superbro919
83k views
  • I'm facing the same issue. Please fix this ASAP.

• As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form Apple Feedback form According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

I also have this issue, I have a dell 27’ 4k, since yesterday all was good (using Monterey) but after ventura update my monitor lose quality.

Had some issues with my monitor, too. In the End I got a software solution which fixed my problem. It´s called "BetterDisplay" and I can set the resolution and the scaling. It helped me a lot after beeing frustrated for quite some time, as it seemed not possible to set the right resolution for my LG Monitor.

Hope this fixes some of your problems... Just set the correct native Resolution in the menu and from there you can select the right resolution.

• YES! BetterDisplay would finally allow me to set my LG31MU97 set to 4096x2160 @60hz. Thanks a lot. Waited a long time for this.

Add a Comment

I had the (low resolution) issue appearing on my second monitor with my M1 Pro on my second external monitor. It's a Samsung 4k display, as is the primary external monitor, although that is plugged into the HDMI port on the laptop directly. I was using a USB-C -> HDMI Female adapter, with a good cable then going into the display. My workaround (and I know everyone won't have this lying around, or have the hardware) was to use a USB-C -> DP (male) cable instead. I know this won't work for everyone, but if it helps some people, so much the better.

And yes, the software issue needs to be fixed.

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

This issue is nearly killing me

Crazy Shit! Since Ventura 13.2 Apple get the Miracle: without supporting Hardware and without any 3rd Party Software, you can set HiDPI-Resolutions in the Systempreferences!

Here's what worked for me to solve the 4K monitor scaling issue on my M1 Mac: I installed BetterDisplay, and on that app, I went to settings > displays: I noticed that the native resolution there was incorrect (1920 x 1080) so I changed it to the right one (3840 x 2160) and applied the changes. Once that happened, macOS finally recognized the monitor as 4K: scaling started working natively in the System Preferences, just like in any Retina display, without needing BetterDisplay.

• Dude!!! whit this I can now select 2528x1422 HIDPI at 144hz with my 1440p display natively!!! and looks incredible!

Add a Comment

I also was struggling hard with this issue. I had this problem while connecting a Samsung Viewfinity S8 4K display directly via USB-C. I was using BetterDisplay (what I really can recommend to you all having problems). The highest HiDPI Resolution I could get was 1080P. When using HDMI as connection, I could select all resolutions as HiDPI (I wanted to set my external Monitor to 2560 × 1440 HiDPI). The solution was to go into BetterDisplay Settings for my Monitor and set a Configuration Overwrite for the Native Panel Pixel Resolution (which was shown as 720P). After entering 3840 x 2160 Pixels and rebooting, I could select all HiDPI resolutions also with my USB-C Connection. Perhaps this helps somebody having the same issue.

I found a screenshot of the Settings Panel here: https://screenshots.macupdate.com/JPG/63642/63642_1656264874_scr_uc1.jpg

Regards, Bjoern

in my case it was wrong refresh rate set up, cant belive that my mac suggests and picks up un workable refresh rates via HDMI cable...

GUYS! just got it to work and finally my display looks amazing with my mac mini m1!

My monitor is a gigabyte with 1440p resolution and is connected with USB C to DP

This is what I did:

1.- installed better display

2.- go to settings/displays

3.- in resolution scaling section:

• set native resolution to 3840x2160(4k) (yes higher than my display's native resolution)

• set default resolution to 3840x2160(4k again) and 144hz (my display higher refresh rate capable)

• click on ''show advanced settings for native smooth scaling'' and check mark ''add a near-native hidpi variant for the native resolution''

4.- apply and restart the mac

5.- enter to system settings/displays (mac settings, not better display settings) and check mark ''show all resolutions''

6.- scroll and select your hidpi resolution!

With my native 1440p display now I can select 2528x1422 hidipi at 144hz and it's AMAZING!

here are a screenshot of better display settings and mac display settings:

• I've a Dell U3421WE with native resolution of 3440x1440p.

After applying your settings I've no change about the quality. The fonts still blurry... Honestly with or without settings from betterDisplay the result is the same...

But yeah I can select HiDPI resolution but no gain...

My settings => https://i.ibb.co/BcRbGzG/Screenshot-2023-05-05-at-18-14-17.png

• @kax17 This worked for me. I just bought a 2K USB-C monitor and a Spigen USB4 cable to connect with my Macbook Air M1 running Ventura. Almost gave up finding a solution to get hidpi versions of 1920x1080 and 2528x1422. Your post saved my day and some $$. Thanks!

Add a Comment

its happen to me also with xiaomi wide monitor 30, its so bother me!

• I've a Dell U3421WE with native resolution of 3440x1440p.

After applying your settings I've no change about the quality. The fonts still blurry... Honestly with or without settings from betterDisplay the result is the same...

But yeah I can select HiDPI resolution but no gain...

My settings => https://i.ibb.co/BcRbGzG/Screenshot-2023-05-05-at-18-14-17.png

Add a Comment

Hi there. I'm having the same problem with an M1 Max and an LG 49WQ95X - which has a default resolution of 5120 x 1440. The BetterDisplay app doesn't make a difference when I try different settings. System fonts remain blurry.

Hi there,

Dell u4321we and still the same problem. Please fix this.

Are there some updates to this? How is it even possible that you can't use normal monitors with M1 Mac books?

We need proper scaling options...