Pls fix m1 chip issues with external monitor hidpi

Can apple pls, pls, pls, tell me when can you fix the problem of m1 chip not support hidpi on external monitors? Or do you even aware of this problem?

I've been using mac for a long time, and i was able to connect to a external monitor with high resolution and good size fonts using 3rd party softwares, like one-key-hidpi or rdm.

However, now with your latest m1 chip, none of them work anymore. Now i can either use a high resolution with ant size fonts, or i can choose big font size with blurry displays resolution, which is very annoying.

so, are we going to fix this issue? or is there any workaround for this?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of superbro919 Down vote post of superbro919
83k views
  • I'm facing the same issue. Please fix this ASAP.

• As a reminder to everyone who is unhappy about the current situation with HiDPI and does not want to use BetterDummy: Apple is not watching this thread. They never will. The only way to reach them is to contact them via the Apple feedback form Apple Feedback form According to the Apple Care Senior person who I talked to in the last days this is the only metric that is actively monitored/watched to improve their products. The form literally takes one minute to fill out. Thank you all!

• i feedback to the support team but no one answers me about this problem. mac os 12.2 released but still i have screen flickering, low quality screen only because i use apple silicon chip. why me and many others must have bad experience but apple and support don't care about it. the only solution is not let this topic get down. we should tell them every day that we have problem. that's the difference between apple products and pc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

It's 28 May 2022 and the problem is still not fixed :(

• Yep, so sad. 2k monitors not being supported is ridiculous.

Add a Comment

i think this problem is not software problem. Because if it was, apple would did fixed. i think this is hardware or chip problem. Yes i know some 3. Party application fix this. But with 60 hz. i will buy new display. :(

Please fix the issue. Also for higher refresh rate (> 60Hz) monitor. I'm using a 240Hz for work, little bit extreme, but have some empathy yo.

This fix has to be the main highlight of the WWDC 2022. 😂

• 2022 - is a year, when FreeType on Linux renders fonts by and order of magnitude better than Mac. Back to basics guys ! =)

Add a Comment

2022 - is a year, when FreeType on Linux renders fonts by and order of magnitude better than Mac. Back to basics guys ! =)

So guys who tested the new Ventura?

• According to the author of BetterDummy (who already has tested the Ventura beta and talked about it on his discord-channel) this is not fixed. I switched back to windows because I do not accept to buy a new display.

Add a Comment

What worked for me on my Mac Studio (Should be similar for other M1/M2 devices):

Boot your computer on Safe Mode. Now go to Displays under System Settings (Mac OS version below 13.0, it's System Preferences). Enable Scaled under Resolution and select Show all resolutions. You should now see many more HiDPI options. Choose the one you like. Afterwards, just restart your computer. That's it!

• Sadly does not fix the issue. I just tested it and in safe mode the m1 macbook has exactly the same display resolutions. No 3440 x 1440 (HiDPI) possible!

• I confirm, 3440 x 1440 (HiDPI)  not possible.

Add a Comment

How to enable HiDPI on M1 based Macs on any resolution

I have some interesting news: I found a solution to enable HiDPI on M1 based Macs on any resolution, even on 1080p screens, without the need to use mirroring or other workarounds.

Here is an example of HiDPI running on a Dell U2415 monitor that only supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1200:

What you need to do is to edit the com.apple.windowserver.displays.plist file located in

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.displays.plist

and change the key <key>Scale</key> to have a value of 2.

This is an example of how the section in the displays plist file should look like after the change:

<key>CurrentInfo</key>
					<dict>
						<key>Depth</key>
						<integer>8</integer>
						<key>High</key>
						<real>1200</real>
						<key>Hz</key>
						<real>60</real>
						<key>IsLink</key>
						<false/>
						<key>OriginX</key>
						<real>0.0</real>
						<key>OriginY</key>
						<real>0.0</real>
						<key>Rotation</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
						<key>Scale</key>
						<real>2</real>
						<key>Wide</key>
						<real>1920</real>
					</dict>

Make sure that you change only the Scale key for the monitor that you need, and nothing else.

You can follow the step-by-step video tutorial on how to make the changes in the displays plist file here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1EqH3fd0V4

After that, restart your Mac and you should get HiDPI and noticeably more crisp and anti-aliased text, and the high resolution macOS icons.

An easy way to confirm that the HiDPI changes work is by looking at the Safari icon on the dock. If the HiDPI version of the icon is enabled, it will have a lot more sections in the compass than the low resolution icon. It should look something like this:

Please note that while this might make the image look better even on 1080p screens, they will still be running at 1080p resolution, so the change might not be as drastic as running on a higher resolution screen.

If you have any questions about the procedure, please feel free to contact me or comment below.

• How do I know which section of the code belongs to which monitor?

• Still works on Ventura?

Add a Comment

This is absolutely absurd – Apple, we need basic external monitor support! When do you plan on supporting your customers?

Bought M1 Pro was super thrilled about it and it's a great device. Connected it to my daily driver 1440p MSI monitor and after a whole weekend of trying to make it work returned the MBP. Super sad that this OS can't get basic stuff like this right. And here we are bashing Windows that its bloated and so on ... well at least you can run it with almost any setup. Same goes for linux

It's working since a few weeks, that you can read above 1 month ago, posted by @imagnity:

"What worked for me on my Mac Studio (Should be similar for other M1/M2 devices):

Boot your computer on Safe Mode. Now go to Displays under System Settings (Mac OS version below 13.0, it's System Preferences). Enable Scaled under Resolution and select Show all resolutions. You should now see many more HiDPI options. Choose the one you like. Afterwards, just restart your computer. That's it!"

Do I understand it correctly? If I want crisp text on 34 ultrawide monitor with 3440 x 1440 resolution the only way is to return my new Macbook Pro 16 M1 Pro and go with Windows instead? Or ditch my monitor and buy their Studio Display with non detachable cable or that plastic LG Ultrafine 5k equivalent with that ugly big top bezel ? Oh my....

• Probably will not work with your ultrawide monitor. Apple does support "classic" 4k monitors(it could be any vendor). But im not sure if it supports ultrawide monitors... i think no

Add a Comment

It seems that Apple solved this problem in macOS 13 Ventura. I checked Beta 6 today and it offers several HiDPI resolutions for my external display Dell 24" QuadHD (2560x1440) connected to Mac mini M1. No need to use BetterDummy utility or dummy 4K HDMI emulator.

• Uhhh, that was really fast! Hopefully it will work... ;)

Add a Comment

Just wondering if there's been an update to this, we have 2 4k monitors, I'm wanting to use 2560x1400 but not in low resolution. We are connecting via Targus dual 4k support hub to USB C on the M1 Max Macbook Pro

I have an older 2019 Macbook Pro that I had plugged into my LG UltraWide 49" with a resolution of 5120x1444 and was running Ventura beta 6, I upgraded to beta 7 yesterday and now my display doesn't work anymore! both displays are completely garbled with no chance of recognizing anything!

It's same issue at M1 Pro with Samsung S32B80P

DP cable is work (3840 x 2160)

Usb-c PD is wrong resolution (800x600)

in other hand, using Intel chip MacBook Pro with Samsung S32B80P usb-c PD is fine.