DISK NOT EJECTED PROPERLY keeps popping up Big Sur 11.3.1

This thread has been locked by a moderator.
After updating to Big Sur 11.3.1 my MacBook Pro 2013 keeps ejecting my 2TB Seagate external drive. As a result, I'm not able to back up using Time Machine. Would be happy to get support for this issue.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of IrakliSvn
45k views
  • STILL HAPPENING ON 12/10/21. I switched over to Apple because I was tired of the unstable Windows environment. People go to Apple to avoid this type of thing because of the R&D it puts into it's software and product development. I'm starting to regret this decision on a number of things, but THIS TYPE OF THING shouldn't be one of them......

• Mine says it's ejected (it's my time machine disk that is permanently plugged in) but actually seems to go on working. I would eject it properly and then set it up again, but I don't really seem to need to. I'm on a 2021 iMac running Monterey, so it's still happening.

• I've been having the same problem with Mjoave 10.14.6 for AGES now on my 2009 Mac Pro. Directly related problem, in the middle of using the machine, on, working on anything at all, a drive will eject. And I mean it doesn't even show up in Disk Utility in Mac OS, or the one in terminal. I have to reboot the computer for the disk to show back up. The disk is formatted as ExFAT so I can access the files on my windows & linux machines. But I've had the same thing happen to a disk that was formatted jhfs+. And it ALWAYS happens to ANY external drive I have connected, if the computer goes/is put to sleep. Upon waking, it tells me that every external volume was ejected improperly. I've never had this problem before. Rebooting every time this happens is INSANE. Yes, I know having to do it if you leave the machine overnight, but if I'm directly in the middle of something? Awful!

Oh, a little PS: One time this happened to the drive, tried running first aid on it, on the disk, it said it was fine, on the volume, it failed. Because it was ExFAT, I pulled the drive, put it in my windows 11 machine, and ran the default check disk on it, and it took a while (the disk is 8TB) and fixed it and was fine. Put it back in my mac? Failed a few hours later that day.

My Mac Pro is Mojave 10.14.6 (checked before posting this, and frequently - no updates available) Early 2009 2x 3.46GHz 6core Intel Xeons 48GB 1333MHz DDR3. The system boot disk is a sandisk 1TB SSD

Replies

Finally! The following worked for me I am running macOS Montery 12.3.1 on the base version of Mac Studio.  My situation: This eject thing was happening to me repeatedly sitting idle as well as running a production php to process videos and photosets for release on my website.  This program can take 10 to 30 and more minutes easily depending on how many videos and photosets I process. I have an older Fideco docking station that had been hooked up to my 2013 iMac.  In this dock I have a 10TB hard drive and a 480mb SSD. This particular dock uses USB A to connect to the CPU.  I need to use a USB extension cable because the docking station can not reach either the the Mac Studio or iMac based on my placement of stuff on my desk. So, I connected the extended USB A cable from the Fideco dock to a USB A slot on the back of my new Mac Studio.  I would run my production program and EVERY single time I would get disk eject msgs for each volume stored on the Fideco dock.  I would even get the eject msg with computer idle.  My solution: I read the comments on this thread how it might be a power issue.  So what I tried that is still working with NO eject msgs is: 1) Attached the extended male USB A from the docking station into a short USB A to USB C Apple cable.  2) plug the Apple cable into a USB C slot on the back side of the Mac Studio.  3) In the System Energy Saver prefs I checked “Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping…” and unchecked “Put hard disks to sleep when possible”.  Aside from the preference settings, I suspect it was the connection from my dock via USB A to USB A that was the problem (perhaps also the use of the extension cable).  Just finished another run of my program — took 40 minutes.  Also took 10 minutes or so to write this text.  Still, no eject msgs! Still use the original USB A cable and extension. Now, however, I plug the USB A into the short Apple USB A to USB C cable and then the USB C into the back of my cpu.

• I'm having the same issue but I don't have the complex connection situation you are having. All my external hard drives are connected directly to my iMac with a single cable and they have been for years. My problem started a few months ago. I suspect after a software update. Has anyone else had success with the Energy Saver and Sleep mode adjustments?

Mine are: Prevent your Mac from automatically sleeping when the display is off (checked!) and Put hard disk to sleep when possible (Not Checked!)

I would add I'm shocked to see this issue has been happening for such a long time with no response from Apple. Huge disappointment. At least we have each other LOL!

Add a Comment

I have the same problem but it appears to be a mechanical issue. The plug, if jostled even a little, will lose the connection to my Mac. Is there a clamp that can be used to hold the plug in place? Smallrig makes one but they appear to be overkill. Any suggestions?

I wish apple would WAKE UP AND ADDRESS THIS ISSUE - external hard drives ejecting themselves, this is NOT ok - It's happening a dozen times a day, however NOT perfectly repeatable. I thought it was my cables, my usb connections... nope, it's Mac OS... After over 30 years being fiercely loyal to only working on macs, I am ready to completely abandon mac and go PC.

This is happening to me too and is causing a huge problem for me as a photographer -- I keep all my photographs on an external 5Tb Seagate drive, and when I'm running Lightroom, having the disc spontaneously "improperly ejected" really wreaks havoc in my lightroom catalogs. It only happens on my new MacBook Pro laptop running Monterrey and NEVER happens with the same hard drive on the iMac running Big Sur.

I just purchased a Lacie 5TB portable drive. I thought initially that it might just be the brand, as I have several removable drives connected to my iMac and I do not have this problem. I did reformat my drive to MacOS Journaled. This may be part of the issue. I will reformat to exfat and see if that helps with the issue.

Do our external backup drives have to be APFS to be compatible?

MacBook Air Monterey, had this issue of ejecting drives while trying to get a Time Machine back up done. Tried many suggestions here, nothing worked. Used disk utility to change my Seagate 1TB external to APFS and now I don't get the disk eject error. Note it backs up much faster now. I'm no where near knowledgeable on these issues just sharing what worked.

• I tried the reformat to APFS - that 100% made my back-ups run a lot faster on my old macs, but did not fix the issue on my 2020 MBA M1.

Add a Comment

I am having this issue (with MacBook Air 2020 M1/Monterey 12.4). I have 2014 and a 2018 MacBook Airs and have never had this issue with either of them (and still don't...). I periodically connect my Seagate 1TB External Hard Drive to manually run back-ups - never had this issue until I got the 2020 MBA. AS I TYPE THIS, I am backing up my 2014 MBA to the SAME Seagate that I just spent the last three hours trying to back-up my 2020 MBA to, with no success (every time the new one prepares to run a backup, it ejects - cancelling the backup....but the external hard drive is still visible in Finder. This actually makes no sense. I bought a new cord, thinking that was the issue. No luck. Tried using an Apple adapter to connect hard drive to MBA. No luck. (And my original cord still works to backup my older MBAs). Ran First Aid; reformatted external hard drive; changed power settings....tried everything. No luck. Would really like to hear if anyone has found a solution that works for the 2020 MBA with M1.

• I just updated to Monterey in March; and now I been having this same issue with my backup external hard drive for about a week. Apple needs to provide a solution ASAP!

Add a Comment

Upgraded to Monterey a month ago and started seeing this issue with my G-Technology external disk used for Time Machine (I've been using that for over 4 years w/o problem). Extremely frustrating and quite scary to contemplate losing years of backups. Changing the usb cable and power supply to the external disk didn't solve the problem so finally had to buy a used 5th Gen Apple Time Capsule to use for backups. That's thankfully working fine but Apple really need to resolve this bug. With every major MacOS upgrade, Apple take a few steps forward but break critical features in the process.

• I finally managed to get Apple support to take a look at the issue over a remote session. In my specific case, and I suppose for others here, the problem seems to be the lack of Apple's APFS filesystem by some external HDD models. My disk is over 4 years old and I cannot get firmware updates to fix this issue. Even if you format the disk as Extended Journal, the Time Machine still changes it to APFS causing this issue to come back for affected disks. I'm using the disk for ext storage now.

Add a Comment

Started new a new CFExpress card, this works for me:

right click select get info... change name (I chose CFEXPRESS) press enter - problem gone

Good luck

I've had this start happening on my wife's Air after upgrading to Monterey. It doesn't happen on my Pro, just hers. Same external.

Same here. Two Identical Mac Mini, with the same OS, Monterey 12.5.1 In Mac #1 everything is working perfectly, in Mac #2 the same disk eject continuously overnight. Every energy saving, etc is deactivated, I also tried Caffeine and Amphetamine, nothing at all.

When two identical situation lead to different results, it probably means there is some random cause that move something over a threshold. Indeed, looking in Apple -> Information on this Mac -> Hardware -> Usb -> Bus Usb 3.1, the disk Extreme SSD need 896mA of current, while the maximum available amount is 900 mA.

This means that with 2% of tolerance in current, it is perfectly OK that sometimes the current goes above or below the threshold required. This also explain why Apple doesn't fix the problem: it is a hardware one, no enough current available, and thus impossible to solve. In addition, Apple can't admit this because you can't spend 3000$ and have a computer with low hardware specs.

I am going to change SSD disk, and see if it works. Another option could be to change the USB-C to USB-A, hoping that in that case there is enough current to keep the disk powered on.

My 2 Cents.

Same here,

Latest MacBook Pro, updated to latest version, ...etc.

my new Sandisk SSD keeps disconnecting, not able to copy/paste.

Tried many cables, many formats, nothing worked.

And it's working fine on WINDOWS! with copy/paste speed at 1GB/s! Apple really screwed things here by some unknown issue, and no reply at any kind!

• My macbook air running Big Sur 11.7 works fine with the external hard drive enclosure. My mac mini running Monterey has this problem of disk being ejected after a few hours. Played with the power saver settings and found that check the box of "Prevent your mac from automatic sleeping when the display is off" temporarily solves the problem.

Add a Comment

In the hopes of a fix for this, I updated to OS Ventura 13.0 from Monterey 12.6. It is now worse than before! I did get my externsl 4TB Seagate Backup Plus to transfer almost 2GB to my hard drive without issue. I thought the OS update worked.....only to return an hour later to see at least 50 "disk not ejected properly" messages. I then conneced the external Seagate Backup Plus to an old iMac, running High Sierra 10.13.6......no eject problems at all! Come on Apple! I have a business to run, and I can't do it without external drives!

I had the same issue by using a Blueendless HD501 usb hub. Recently I bought a Myria MY8062 hub with almost the same specs. With this new hub I had no issues. I suspect that in my case the problem was the communication between the old hub and the Mac mini M1 (I doubt that the new one uses less power, so the power used might not be an issue). The old usb hub works fine on a Windows notebook, so it's not faulty.

Blueendless hub requires 5v 2.4A, I don't have the power rating for the new one. Both hubs are connected via usb-c, have 1 hdmi, 1 card reader and some usb ports