About using com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit entitlement.

Is the com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit entitlement working as of iOS 15 Beta 3.

As of right now if I try to add this entitlement on Beta 3 or below, the Automatic Signing fails.

How much extra memory would be provided for an Application or its extension with this entitlement?

Replies

Hello! Did you find a solution to this?

Unfortunately no

• But that capability is now available in the developer portal, to be added as a entitlement. So it may work.

Add a Comment

@Danny182, Just tested it and it appears to be working.

• I've tried adding "com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit" to my app's .entitlements file (Xcode 13.0, iOS 15, latest iPad Pro 12.5", 16GB, 1TB), but when I try to build my app, I get "Provisioning profile "iOS Team Provisioning Profile: com..." doesn't include the com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit entitlement" and fails to build the app. Can @Danny182 or anyone who has got this working give details of what needs to be done? I'm guessing that I somehow need to add this entitlement to my "iOS Team Provisioning Profile" but I'm not sure how to do that.

Add a Comment

I've tried adding com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit to my app's .entitlements file

All entitlements must be authorised by a provisioning profile [1], so you can’t just add them to that file. For a standard entitlement, like this one, Xcode has a nice workflow, namely the Signing & Capabilities editor. Use that to add the Extended Virtual Addressing capability.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] On iOS. On macOS this is more nuanced (-:

• @eskimo I'm confused. In Certificates, Identifiers, and Profiles, while editing my app's identifier, we have "Extended Virtual Address Space" and "Increased Memory Limit" appearing as two separate things. Meanwhile in Xcode 13, in Capabilities, we just have "Extended Virtual Address Space" and checking it adds com.apple.developer.kernel.extended-virtual-addressing to our app's entitlements. We also had to manually add com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit in order for "Increased Memory Limit" to show up in the summary when we archive our app, because there's no option in Signing & Capabilities to add Increased Memory Limit. Please advise!

Add a Comment

I'm confused.

Yeah, sorry about that. Let’s see if we can sort this out.

There are two entitlements in play here [1]:

• com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit — This is documented here. It’s shown as Increased Memory Limit in Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles and is not available in Xcode’s Signing & Capabilities editor (I’m testing with 13.1).

• com.apple.developer.kernel.extended-virtual-addressing — AFAICT this isn’t listed in the documentation. It’s shown as Extended Virtual Address Space in Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles and as Extended Virtual Addressing in Xcode.

If you want to use com.apple.developer.kernel.increased-memory-limit with Xcode’s automatic code signing, follow the steps in the New Process section of Using the Multicast Networking Additional Capability, substituting Increased Memory Limit for Multicast Networking and com.apple.developer.kernel.extended-virtual-addressing for com.apple.developer.networking.multicast. I just tested that process here in my office and it works a treat.

Finally, I think it’s safe to say that our tools and documentation could do with an update here (-; I’ve filed three bugs about this:

• The developer web site should use the same name as Xcode for the Extended Virtual Addressing capability (r. 85494956).

• The documentation should cover com.apple.developer.kernel.extended-virtual-addressing (r. 85495034).

• Xcode should have an Increased Memory Limit capability (r. 85495088).

*phew*

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] There are also a bunch of special entitlements related to this, but I’m going to focus on the stuff that’s available publicly.

Thanks for the guide, I didn't have any issues with signing. Although calling os_proc_available_memory() on app launch, still gives me the same old memory which I had. I'm running in IOS 15.3 and in an Iphone 8.

AVAILABLE MEMORY TO APP IS: 1510554784 BYTES
WHICH IS: 1.4067985117435455 GB