Electron application does not start with app-sandbox enabled in entitlements.plist. “You do not have permission to open the application”

my entitlements.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.application-groups</key>
    <array>
      <string>W9XXXXXX5.com.xxxxxx</string>
    </array>
    <key>com.apple.security.cs.allow-jit</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.cs.allow-unsigned-executable-memory</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.cs.disable-executable-page-protection</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.automation.apple-events</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.network.client</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.network.server</key>
    <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.files.user-selected.read-write</key>
    <true/>
  </dict>
</plist>

if run open this.app

The application cannot be opened for an unexpected reason, error=Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=-10826 "kLSNoLaunchPermissionErr: User doesn't have permission to launch the app (managed networks)" UserInfo={_LSFunction=_LSLaunchWithRunningboard, _LSLine=2539, NSUnderlyingError=0x147e2bcf0 {Error Domain=RBSRequestErrorDomain Code=5 "Launch failed." UserInfo={NSLocalizedFailureReason=Launch failed., NSUnderlyingError=0x147e2a8a0 {Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=153 "Unknown error: 153" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Launchd job spawn failed with error: 153}}}}}

this is electron 13.1.2 with electron-forge 6.

The app works fine after removing sandbox, but I have to use sandbox in order to upload to the App Store. I may have misconfigured some items, please let me know the possible debugging direction.

This “do not have permission” error means that the system hit an error while trying to start a new process to run your app. There are a variety of potential causes for this. Unfortunately the error code you got, 153, translates to EWTF [1], which is amusing but not helpful.

Does your app contain a Service Manager login item, that is, a login item that you enable using SMLoginItemSetEnabled?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] To be clear, this isn’t in a public header.

Electron application does not start with app-sandbox enabled in entitlements.plist. “You do not have permission to open the application”

Q