In iOS 15, when the app is restarted, it immediately crashes.

After the iOS 15 update, the following process causes the app to die.

1. Go to the home screen while running the app
  2. Completely quit by removing the background state of the app
  3. Start by pressing the icon on the home screen
  4. As soon as the app is opened in the state it was in when the previous home screen was moved, there is a symptom that the app dies.

There was no such symptom until iOS 14.

Is this symptom a bug in iOS 15 ? Or is there a new option for background state of apps in iOS 15?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of Kim Ju Young Down vote post of Kim Ju Young
24k views
  • Devices with older round home buttons seem to be less prone to the above symptoms. And it seems that the above symptoms occur more often on devices that do not have a circular home button. (This usually happens on notch devices)

• Sometimes the app appears in the list again after completely closing the app in the background state.

• any solution? it still keeps crashing

Add a Comment

Replies

After the iOS 15 update, the following process causes the app to die.

Is this your app? Or an app from some other third-party developer?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Not only our app, but also other company/individual apps have the same symptoms.

If we repeat the above process, sometimes the symptoms keep coming back and sometimes they don't.

Most of them happen after a few iterations.

Add a Comment

I have same issue in my iPhone12 iOS 15.0 (other device not happened), it happened in all apps, include those Apple's app (AppStore, Notes, Weather etc...)

• Oh you have similar symptoms!!

I also have the same symptoms on iphone 12 promex ios 15 There was no such symptom on iphone 8s plus iOS 15.1 beta.

It doesn't go away even after rebooting the device.

Add a Comment

Suin, If you’re having problems with Apple apps, that’s something you need to discuss with Apple Support.

Kim Ju Young wroet:

Not only our app, but also other company/individual apps have the same symptoms.

You mean apps from the App Store? Or other Development- or Enterprise-signed apps?

If you’re having problems with other app from the App Store, contact the app’s developer. However, if you’re having problems with a Development- or Enterprise-signed app that you created, I can help you here.

In that case, when you app crashes, does it generate a crash report? If so, please post an example here.

For advice on how to post a crash report, see Posting a Crash Report.

Share and Enjoy

We experience the same. The app sometimes crash on startup, and then work again just afterwards.

The app shows splashscreen, then quickly fades to a blurred home screen and then disappears.

• It still happens in version 15.0.1 as well. It has not been modified. It happens with all apps sold on the App Store. The model I am using is iPhone 12 Pro Max and the iOS version is 15.0.1.

Add a Comment

Same situation happens on my iPhoneXS max with iOS15.0.2 to 15.1, when iPhone6S with iOS15.0.1 does not have such problem.

I can watch this behavior by just deploy my app on a phone (device) with iOS 15. My app never crashes on iOS 14.8 but move it to iOS 15 the app crashes sometimes. Always after reactivating from background. This is monitored by many testers which stated that this happens also to many other apps. There is something changed by Apple and very nice to see that there is no answer from Apple here.

there is no answer from Apple here.

What sort of answer were you expecting? A month ago I wrote:

In that case, when you app crashes, does it generate a crash report? If so, please post an example here.

No one responded with a crash report, which makes it hard for me to offer any insight into this issue.

Share and Enjoy

• I meet the same issue. frequently relaunch app cause random crash, however no crash report on Xcode->DeviceAndSimulators->DeiceLog and no crash report showed in firebase/crashlytics or Xcode Crash Organizer.

• I tested other apps from appstore on my phone, same issue.

• I can actually reproduce this with Apple AppStore app. I have also noticed there are no relevant crash reports was send nether to the Firebase not to Xcode Organiser. You can actually reproduce it with any app. It's harder to reproduce with empty apps history stack, but if you have at least five of them, last one will crash on immediate restart after force "swipe to quit".

Add a Comment

Hello everyone.

I have a similar issue in an iOS react-native app after iOS 15 upgrade but with not a crash.

If someone opens the app after ~1 hour from the last time he/she opened it, the app skips the SplashScreen and after that nothing renders correctly. The positioning and order of components are wrong.

This happens only the first time after ~1hour of app being closed.

• hello I'm experiencing the same issue in the latest iOS 15 by any chance did you find out any sort of solution or any clue that cause this UI break issue, we are facing a very big problem due to these issues any help would be highly appreciated

• hello any solution ?

Add a Comment

I'm experiencing the same issue, I think. I'm testing with a simple app with a simple fullscreen map... If I launch the app on my iPhone connected by cable with my Mac everything is ok. If I launch it "disconnected" I have this crash.

libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type std::__1::system_error: mutex lock failed: Invalid argument

dyld4 config: DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/system/introspection DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES=/Developer/usr/lib/libBacktraceRecording.dylib:/Developer/usr/lib/libMainThreadChecker.dylib:/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DTDDISupport.framework/libViewDebuggerSupport.dylib

terminating with uncaught exception of type std::__1::system_error: mutex lock failed: Invalid argument

If I launch it "disconnected" I have this crash.

OK, something is wonky here. Your text mentions a mutex lock failed error but the crash report you posted has a backtrace like this:

Last Exception Backtrace:
0   CoreFoundation  … __exceptionPreprocess + 216
1   libobjc.A.dylib … objc_exception_throw + 56
2   CoreFoundation  … __CFDictionaryCreateGeneric + 0
3   UIFoundation    … UINibDecoderDecodeObjectForValue + 408
4   UIFoundation    … UINibDecoderDecodeObjectForValue + 1252
5   UIFoundation    … -[UINibDecoder decodeObjectForKey:] + 308

which clearly indicates a UIKit nib decoding issue. How is this crash report related to the mutex lock failed error?

Share and Enjoy

You can actually reproduce it with any app.

So, you can reproduce it using only built-in apps? If so, that’s clearly a bug in the OS (there’s no one else to blame! :-) and I encourage you to file it as such.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Add a Comment

We are experiencing the same issue. We had deployed an app last year. It's been working fine till the end of November when our client reported crashes on the app since they upgraded to iOS 15.1.1. According to them, the app was working fine on iOS 14.8. For testing purposes, we kept one of our devices to 14.2 and enrolled the other to the 15.2 beta. The results are, the app runs smoothly on 14.2 and even on 15.0. But on 15.1.1 and 15.2, there are crashes and they are mainly caused by NSPersistentStoreCoordinator where we have been dealing with privateConcurrency contexts. The crashes we mainly experience on latest OS say EXC_BAD_ACCESS. I do not know how this is linked with the crashes. Still waiting for some workaround. Anybody facing the same issue??

• I'm facing the same issue on IOS 15. App is frequently crashing on launch. Any solution?

• The problem seems to be with the deallocation of the child MOCs, we are using inside our app. We tested the app in parallel on iOS 14.2, iOS 15.1.1 and 15.2-beta. The results are, on iOS 14.2, it runs smoothly, the ARC is quite tolerant. On 15.x, however, we have unexpected crashes, which sometime log Zombie objects and sometimes the DispatchSemaphore gets stuck (I managed to resolve the last one disabling backtrace recording in Edit scheme -> Options -> Queue Debugging).

• This would only help for debug time issues not app store releases correct? I am having issues with GCD according to my crash logs.

Add a Comment

I'm running into the same issue app is crashing on IOS 15 when launch. any solution?

• iOS 15.3.1 version iPhone or iPad still has that phenomenon. Couldn't find a solution.

Add a Comment

is your phone language English?

i have noticed that if changing device language , this issue no longer Exists!

• @userff are you still persist to that fix with no problems?

• No, it's not English, it's another language.

• Google Tasks app in iOS 16.3.1 was crashing repeatedly. Changing language to another language (I chose Spanish), then back to English, cleared something, and the issue is no longer occurring.

Add a Comment

So we are finally out of this problem. The issue was the CoreData thread violations. Thanks to the community's suggestion, we passed the -com.apple.CoreData.ConcurrencyDebug 1 argument and this helped figuring out all the violations which caused multiple crashes. After adding appropriate concurrency queues to the NSManagedObjectContext, we were able to run the app flawlessly on iOS 15.x.

• Were there many changes to CoreData? I thought it handles its own queues inside the framework, right?

• @shoibahmad can you give more instruction on how you handled it?

• We are not using CoreData and the above happens.

Add a Comment