VNDetectFaceLandmarksRequest & VNFaceLandmarkRegion2D changed in iOS 15

Did something change on face detection / Vision Framework on iOS 15?

Using VNDetectFaceLandmarksRequest and reading the VNFaceLandmarkRegion2D to detect eyes is not working on iOS 15 as it did before. I am running the exact same code on an iOS 14 and iOS 15 device and the coordinates are different as seen on the screenshot?

Any Ideas?

Accepted Reply

I was having a similar issue.

After a lot of trial and error, it seems this problem is only occurring on Simulators running iOS 15.

The face landmarks request is working just fine on a physical device (iPhone 11 Pro) running iOS 15. Simulators running iOS 14 process the request correctly as well.

I will attempt to get my hands on other physical devices running iOS 15 to test with.

I hope this helps

Any help with testing and confirming my conclusion would be appreciated.

• Yep that is the problem. the emulators are screwed

• I am having an issue as well. works fine on device but not on simulator....any tips?

Add a Comment

Replies

I was having a similar issue.

After a lot of trial and error, it seems this problem is only occurring on Simulators running iOS 15.

The face landmarks request is working just fine on a physical device (iPhone 11 Pro) running iOS 15. Simulators running iOS 14 process the request correctly as well.

I will attempt to get my hands on other physical devices running iOS 15 to test with.

I hope this helps

Any help with testing and confirming my conclusion would be appreciated.

• Yep that is the problem. the emulators are screwed

• I am having an issue as well. works fine on device but not on simulator....any tips?

Add a Comment

The only thing to do at the moment is to download an old simulator (works on iOS 14.5 for me):

• XCode->Devices and Simulator->Plus Button
  • Choose OS Simulator->Download Additional Simulators.

Please fix this Apple! It's been an issue for many months now :'(

• Observed same issue on iPadOS15 and 16 simulators.
  • Vision is not providing landmark points properly for face image.
  • All the points are around nose.

@Ships66, did you find any fix for this?

Also if anyone else knows the fix, it would be of great help!!

I have the same issue, it works perfectly on device but the coordinates are completely off when I use the simulator

Does any one have a fix about that ? @TusharC123 ?

iOS 17

I'm getting the same weird blob on the simulator. Works perfectly on device