NSLocationTemporaryUsageDescriptionDictionary crashes Xcode 13

I just submitted a feedback for this (FB9662125) but in the spirit of “share and enjoy”…

The cool new Generate Info.plist File feature in Xcode 13 crashes if you try to put an NSLocationTemporaryUsageDescriptionDictionary in your Info.plist file. Here’s a simple repro scenario:

1. Create a minimal iOS app (no Core Data, no tests)
  2. Go to target settings → Info tab → Custom iOS Target Properties
  3. Click the (+) button on any row to begin inserting a new row
  4. Select Privacy - Location Temporary Usage Description Dictionary
  5. Click somewhere else or press Return to commit the selection
  6. Xcode crashes immediately

More generally, it seems that Xcode crashes any time it tries to regenerate your Info.plist file if it contains an NSLocationTemporaryUsageDescriptionDictionary, even if (for example) you manually pasted that dictionary into the file earlier. In that case, merely tapping the (+) button in step 3 above is enough to crash it.

• Oh dear!

• Same sh*t, it's so frustrating.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Bump! This is still broken in Xcode 13.2.1 (13C100). In case anyone else wants to help out by entering a duplicate feedback report.

(I’ve already migrated a number of existing projects to auto-generate Info.plist, which is a nice little cleanup. But migrating my last project is blocked due to this bug. Bummer.)

Replies

You're absolutely right. It occurs each time. As far as I could test, it occurs only with Privacy - Location Temporary Usage Description Dictionary. Other entries, even if dictionary, work OK.

It seems to be specific to SwiftUI. I tried the same with a Swift UIKit project and did not get the crash.

• It crashes for me using either SwiftUI or Storyboard style project. The key is to create the project new in Xcode 13, which turns on the Generate Info.plist File build setting. Projects created in Xcode 12 or earlier don't have that setting so everything works as before. Or you could enable that setting in an existing project (which is what I was originally trying to do) but then things get messy fast. That's an advanced move. ;-)

Add a Comment

Bump! This is still broken in Xcode 13.2.1 (13C100). In case anyone else wants to help out by entering a duplicate feedback report.

(I’ve already migrated a number of existing projects to auto-generate Info.plist, which is a nice little cleanup. But migrating my last project is blocked due to this bug. Bummer.)

I've got the same issue. It still appears to be crashing on Xcode 14.1 :(

Same crash on Xcode 14.3.. Any tricks to actually add this config?

still crashing in Xcode 14.3

This issue is still present in Xcode 14.3.1.

Quick update, still present in Xcode Version 15.0 (15A240d)

I solved this issue by moving the NSLocationTemporaryUsageDescriptionDictionary from the auto-generated Info.plist to the manual Info.plist.

• Adding Info.plist with the key works but have anyone figured out how to add localization to this solution?

Add a Comment

This issue is still present in Xcode 15.0.1.

Still crashing 15.3

15.3还是崩溃