Can no longer detect 2nd display in MacOS Monterey

Since the last update (21A5534d), my MacBook doesn't detect my 2nd display. I've tried swapping the display with a new one and trying different connection methods. My MacBook's built-in display goes black for a moment when I attach the cable, but nothing else happens.

I seem to remember that the System Preferences > Displays used to have an option for manually detecting a display, but it doesn't appear to be there any more.

I hope I'm not the only person experiencing this.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of shark72 Down vote post of shark72
99k views
  • I have the exact same issue. I am a photographer and my livelihood depends on my editing which I do on the external monitor. Now suddenly after the update I can no longer use my external monitor. This makes me switch to windows right away. This is purely a case of cheating.

• I have the same exact issue too. The button for manually detecting an external display in the display settings window doesn’t appear when I hold down the option key. I tried connecting the same HDMI cable and monitor to another MacBook Pro with Monterey and the second display worked. I also tried putting my iMac to sleep and waking it up. I also disconnected and reconnected the HDMI cable while my iMac was powered up. I also reset the NVRAM and PRAM on my iMac, but still no good. I tried entering safe mode on my iMac, still no good. None of the methods suggested on YouTube or online seem to work. Finally, I downgraded to OS X Mavericks and the second monitor did work on my iMac. This proves that it’s not a hardware issue with my iMac and must be a driver issue. Monterey is trash!

• Same issues here. After a couple of weeks with Monterey, my 2nd monitor will not work. Everything else on the hub works. Every other port has been tried and the monitor connected directly. Nothing works. And, holding down OPTION to toggle the "detect external monitors" button is also not available since Monterey.

Replies

The issue seems to be related to the hertz settings. Changing from variable rate to a static rate fixed the issue for me.

• Connect external monitor
  • Go to settings
  • Display
  • Display settings
  • select the external monitor
  • change from variable herts to a fixed hertz, start with 30 and move all the way up to whatever your monitor supports.

This is horrible I can NO longer use my external monitors. PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE NOW! And no, nothing works to troubleshoot this crisis.

The only way I can get my second monitor to work is:

• unplug my second monitor
  • restart
  • as soon as I select restart, plug in my second monitor
  • it will work until my screen saver turns on and have to re-login

I have a 2019 27' iMac and for years I have had no issues with the 2nd display, but now it won't detect my 2nd monitor (LG 34'). This happened right after I upgraded to Monterey 12.4. I was hoping that 12.5 would resolve the issue but it hasn't. I've tried all the 'fixes' on this forum and nothing works. This issue has severely impacted my job performance. Please advise!

I’ve reinstalled Monterey and this solved my issue! just a reminder: you can reinstall macos without losing your data, from the cmd+r menu. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1599/mac

Hello all,

I had the same issue and could not figure it out for a while. By trial and error was able to resolve it. Here is what I found. I have one screen connected through usb c directly, another one was connected through a dongle that had hdmi connection and it was not working. The problem for me as I learned was that I had another dongle connected for usb devices, like external hard drive and keyboard. It has an hdmi port, BUT I had nothing connected to it. It still created an issue. As soon as I connected a dongle without any hdmi ports, everything started working properly. Both screens work now. Hopefully this can be helpful to someone else.
Posted 4 months ago by  sauser33

This worked for me! I had an extra dongle with an HDMI port and after I disconnected this dongle (and all others), I was able to connect the DVI-D to USB-C dongle to my 24in Cinema Display. For anyone needing to know my systems specs: iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021), Monterey (the devil's OS) 12.5, connecting a 24in Cinema Display connected with a Club USB3.2 Gen1 Type-C to Dual Link DVI-D (HDCP OFF) dongle. Thanks again to sauser33!!! 

Daisy Chain!!...Tried most of the above w/ no success. Using the daisy chain feature is what worked for me - instead of plugging both Thunderbolt Displays directly into the Macbook Pro's Thunderbolt ports, plug in only one to the laptop and plug the second display into the Thunderbolt port on the back of the first display. I am running a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) w/ 2 Apple 27" Thunderbolt Displays.

Just update to mac os 12.5, detect monitor button is not there anymore. Try all the fix over here and nothing works. Cant believe Apple can't get this fix with more than 9 months time. OR.. something more sinister is brewing..

• I have 12.5 as well but to find the detect monitors you have to hold the option key in the displays menu and the night shift button will change to detect. My issue is that it detects the monitor just fine... but the monitor receives no data and thus is blank (even goes to sleep as there is "no input"). Monitors work just fine with other devices.

Add a Comment

Same extract problem here. MacBook Pro M1 2020. The USB c dual monitor hub and my second external monitor stopped working after the OS upgraded to Monterey.

Annoying, and I need dual screens to do my job seriously!

Woke up this morning and my MacBook Pro 2019 16" no longer wanted to detect my Samsung Odyssey G9. I thought maybe it was the dock, so I checked it with my daughter's Mac. Nope, works fine there. I tried connecting it with a Thunderbolt dongle to HDMI. It worked once, but the display was huge and very pink. I reset PRAM. No go. When the Mac is restarting, the display wakes up like it's going to work, then as soon as macOS loads, it goes back to sleep. No "Detect Displays" option (even when pushing Option).

Does reinstalling the OS actually help? This is 100% a software issue. Are there other options like killing preferences or anything?

• UPDATE - I reset the SMC and it seems to have ameliorated the issue... for now.

Note: my issue was the display not detecting at all.

Add a Comment

POSSIBLE WORKAROUND. As stated earlier, by unplugging from your power source and plugging back in, this can force the Mac to recognize your display.

I honestly wish I did not have to use Macs for my job. I'm a UX designer and a larger, secondary display is absolutely necessary yet every other day there's an issue where this thing just refuses to work with it. I've worked on PCs my entire professional career and have never encountered anything like this.

Can't wait for us to finally switch over to new software so we can dump both Sketch AND Macs, just the most frustrating, nonsense experience that Apple refuses to fix. If your experience is somehow worse than using a MS product, maybe it's time to start reassessing.

• It used to be that Apple was suited for graphics oriented work. No more. More and more a toy.

Add a Comment

I had this issue as well, but resolved it as follows: My Mac mini uses USB-C to connect a device with 2 HDMI ports. Each of these connect to a monitor. I tried everything I read in this article and the comments, to no avail.

What worked for me was swapping out the cable positions on the device. Left>right, right>left. Worked perfectly and my Mac mini recognized both of my monitors.

Hope this helps someone.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I'm on a brand new MacBook Air (on Monterey 12.5.1) and cannot detect my external monitor.

Another user with the same problem. I upgraded to Monterey last week and I am no longer able to connect to an external display. This was never a problem before. Using a USB-C cable I am still able to charge my Macbook Pro from 2019 but no signal is sent to the monitor. I have tried all the suggested fixes with no success.

• Hi, just have a new macbook air with Monterey. bought sate chi hub to connect with thunderbolt my external apple mac screen. nothing is working, tried switch on and off etc. stays black. anyone any suggestions?

also the button when you hold the option key, to detect displays is not working,. with add display it sees my two mac mini's , with tv's but do not want to connect these...anyone know what to do?

Add a Comment

Hi, just have a new macbook air with Monterey. bought sate chi hub to connect with thunderbolt my external apple mac screen. nothing is working, tried switch on and off etc. stays black. anyone any suggestions?also the button when you hold the option key, to detect displays is not working,. with add display it sees my two mac mini's , with tv's but do not want to connect these...anyone know what to do?—  thebark20230 less than a minute ago 

Add a Comment