Monterey bug cause trackpad not working

upgrade the macOs to Monterey 12.0.1(21A559) from Mojava, when i login in acoount to Destop, the trackpad not working, so i reset the PRAM/NVRAM and SMC, it don't work as well. i create a new root account and login in, the trackpad work well, but when i restart the system , the trackpad still not working.

• I was having the same problem (trackpad not working after upgrading the OS to Monterey).

But I managed to make the trackpad work again by connecting a mouse and going into System Preferences > Accessibility > Pointer Control > Mouse and Trackpad and unchecking the option "Ignore trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present".

Unfortunately, it seems I'm unable to disable the trackpad again until I restart the system, and after a restart, the trackpad is disabled again and I have to go through the process above once more.

Edit: ok, apparently, if I leave that option unchecked, the trackpad continues working after a restart, so I'll leave it unchecked for now.

• Thank you so much this worked for me also!

• Works for me too! Many thanks!

Accepted Reply

Faced the same issue. Trackpad works while system boots up but becomes unusable immediately after logging into the system. For some weird reason this helped:

"System Preferences" -> "Accessibility" -> "Pointer Control" -> uncheck "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present".

Never would expect this to work because I have not used any of those external devices with my MBP. What is more surprising is that it continues working even when you turn this option back again.

• Omg, five minutes after publishing this as an answer I discovered that @JobsonITA wrote literally the same three days ago as a comment to OPs question XD I swear it was unintentional. Well at least now people will get their email notifications.

• hahaha….. thank you!

• I suspect I'm having the same issue. After recently updating to Monterey, my Macbook Pro's keyboard and trackpad both started working funny and then not working at all, except during my login screen after system startup.

However, I can't see the toggle under "Accessibility" where I can turn this option on or off. Is there a way to make that setting visible? And why is it invisible for some people and not others in the first place??

Replies

I completely shutdown the system, unplugged the charging cable, closed the lid for 3-4 min, then turned it it on, now the trackpad is working.

• Rebooting is the only way i get it to work. My mouse and track pad randomly stop allowing me to click, since Monterey update. I have to reboot then they work again. This is happening once a day. Incredibly inconvenient.

• this is happening to me too. feels like a bug in finder. whether im using an external mouse or the trackpad, mouse moves around the screen, can't click on anything. reboot and it resolves until whenever it happens again. annoying.

Add a Comment

Faced the same issue. Trackpad works while system boots up but becomes unusable immediately after logging into the system. For some weird reason this helped:

"System Preferences" -> "Accessibility" -> "Pointer Control" -> uncheck "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present".

Never would expect this to work because I have not used any of those external devices with my MBP. What is more surprising is that it continues working even when you turn this option back again.

• Omg, five minutes after publishing this as an answer I discovered that @JobsonITA wrote literally the same three days ago as a comment to OPs question XD I swear it was unintentional. Well at least now people will get their email notifications.

• hahaha….. thank you!

• I suspect I'm having the same issue. After recently updating to Monterey, my Macbook Pro's keyboard and trackpad both started working funny and then not working at all, except during my login screen after system startup.

However, I can't see the toggle under "Accessibility" where I can turn this option on or off. Is there a way to make that setting visible? And why is it invisible for some people and not others in the first place??

After updating Monterrey, I can't use the click with the trackpad. It happened two or three days after the update. Also, I can't use the press and hold function to make any window big than the usual size which it opens (the terminal, for example). I can only use the tap to move between windows, but it looks like the click, double click, and press and hold click functions are not working.

• I have the same problem. There are so many bugs from this new operating system. I have to reboot the MacBook every single time just to be able to get the clicking sound on trackpad. so annoying.

Add a Comment

After a Monterey update: for the guys trying "System Preferences" -> "Accessibility" -> "Pointer Control" -> uncheck "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present", and finding the box was never checked in the first instance, using a USB mouse or bluetooth trackpad, check the box. Reboot and using the USB mouse or bluetooth trackpad, uncheck the box and reboot again. Built-in trackpad was working again for me.

• I have tried the steps above and the problem goes away temporarily. But after working OK for a couple of hours, the problems start happening again - has this happened to anyone? Have you found any workarounds to make the problem go away for sure? The trackpad in my case behaves erratically, when i single click on a folder, it does not show the content, and when I click again, it selects the next folder and keeps going. It also opens a new window everytime i click on a link. Please help, it's so frustrating!

Add a Comment

I had this same problem occur just before I updated to Monterey which persisted after the Monterey update. Changing system preferences didn't work for me however after turning off my computer (Macbook Air 13" 2020) and leaving it off for about half an hour the trackpad was working when I switched the laptop back on.

• same issue after updating Monterey 12.3.1 - 1 day ago on mac pro 2017. Check ignore trackpad. use external mouse, the same thing is happening intermittently with external mouse. Click not working, on external mouse. want to scroll up or down and am zooming into screen. so annoying having to reboot all the time. Have done all the resets, first aid disk utility. Works for 5 mins then reboot… annoying

• Hi, I have the same issue that @star-affinity says, I updated my computer to the latest update and it was all normal, next day, my touchpad was acting up, it moved erratically, zooming in and out, click didn’t work, so I had to buy a mouse, the mouse didn’t work that well either, I can only use the right click. After some days, I noticed that there were periods in which the touchpad worked all fine but then, it started acting up.

• I thought it was the battery or the touchpad but it doesn’t make sense because it works for a while and then it starts acting up. I’ve tried everything and nothing works, I’m an academic so I read a lot of articles, and have to write essays, I’m desperate because I can’t do anything. What I do now is to close and open the MacBook and it starts working again a 80% of the times or disconnect and connect the charger but there are times that doesn’t work.

Add a Comment

My sister had this problem that I think got triggered in conjunction with upgrading from Big Sur to Monterey 12.3.1 – trackpad could move the arrow pointer at the login window, but as soon as she logged into her account the trackpad stopped working, only by connecting an external mouse could the arrow pointer be moved.

Creating a mew user account and logging into that worked however.

So I took a shot at searching for items named “trackpad” in username/Library/Preferences and deleted all .plist files that had “trackpad” in their name.

After a restart and log in to her account the trackpad kept working! So it seems at least one of those .plist files was causing the trouble.

• Same here, after updating 12.3.1, the trackpad and mouse do move, just the clicks do not work! So something broke in the update, was not happening before. Using the accessibility trick is a work around, but not a valid problem solved.

Add a Comment

I'd personally like to thank the developers at Apple for pushing an update that breaks something so simple as the mouse and trackpad, making my life as a developer, impossible. This problem is months old. Get it fixed please.

• This problem is months old, and DO get it fixed, life as a developer and power user sucks .... Please fix.

Add a Comment

Thanks a lot! It worked very well for me! I was desperate and was already scheduling an appointment at Apple's customer service.

Troubled by same issue too. Trackpad works now after trying

"System Preferences" -> "Accessibility" -> "Pointer Control" ->"Double-Click Speed" (adjust one setting down from fast)

• Same After updating to MacOS Monterey 13.5.2 my MacBook Air M1 trackpad haptics isn't working and there is no clicking sound but the gestures and everything is working. And also the haptics work sometime and again doesn't work.

Add a Comment

I fixed this issue by turning off my Magic Mouse. You could probably also disconnect/forget it in Bluetooth settings. Mine was stashed in my bag so I didn't need it.

• This exactly! Magic Mouse trapped in a backpack. Just happened to me. 🤦‍♂️ Same trouble, same solution. 🤣👍

Add a Comment