Xcode 13.1 iOS 15.0 simulator missing location privacy settings

When I run an app that uses location services on the Xcode 13.1 simulator for iOS 15 the location privacy settings are missing. If you go to the settings on the simulator under privacy the section for location services is missing. The exact same thing on a physical iPhone running iOS 15.0 does show the location settings under privacy in the settings app. Where did the settings for location privacy go? In order to test using the simulator a developer needs to be able to turn those settings on and off, like turning off precise location to see how an app responds.

• FYI - I have retested this again with macOS Monterey (12.6), XCode Version 14.0 (14A309), Simulator Version 14.0 (986.3), running iOS 16.0 (20A360). There is no change, the location services part of the privacy section of the settings app on iOS running on the simulator is still missing. So there is no change with iOS 16. I updated the bug report I submitted.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

With iOS 15 and 16 affected, this is becoming a major testing blocker. Please escalate this bug.

• If you have not submitted a bug report yet, I suggest you do so. I tend to think that is a good way to let the development team know how many people it is effecting. I put in a bug report when I first found this which is now over 1 year ago. I kinda assumed that it would be fixed with iOS 16, but not an update to iOS 15. I was surprised when it was not corrected in 16. My guess is very few people have put in any kind of a bug report on this issue and so it is not very high on the priority list.

• I'm pretty sure I filed a bug a couple of years ago.

Add a Comment

Replies

That's effectively missing in simulators.

Probably a bug, you should file a bug report.

See others reporting:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69273539/xcode-13-is-missing-settings-for-location-services-under-ios15

• That is me on StackOverflow. I also issued a bug to Apple via Feedback Assistant on September 21, 2021 and have not yet had any response. I was hoping this would resolve in Xcode 13.1, but clearly it has not.

Add a Comment

I also issued a bug to Apple via Feedback Assistant on September 21, 2021 and have not yet had any response.

What was that bug number?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• The ticket number in Feedback Assistant is FB9643935

• Quinn - Were you able to confirm or find any information on the missing location privacy settings in the simulator? Did you find the Feedback Assistant Bug Report I entered on this issue?

Add a Comment

Were you able to confirm or find any information on the missing location privacy settings in the simulator?

When you posted your bug number I took a quick look at the bug to confirm that it’s landed in the right place and that there’s no immediate feedback from the engineering team. It has, and there was none, which is why I didn’t follow-up here. AFAICT this is a real bug that the engineering team will have to investigate.

Share and Enjoy

• Got it, thank you for the response.

• Just an FYI - I have retested this with macOS Monteray (12.1) with Xcode 13.2.1 (13C100) on the Xcode simulator running iOS 15.2. The behavior does not change, the location services part of the privacy section of the settings app is still missing on the iOS simulator. I updated the bug report to say the same.

• Yep, that matches my understanding. Thanks for the update, both here and in your bug report.

No update on this?

Can we get an update on this? I do not have an iPhone and am unable to test my location functionality on the available simulators.

• Are you getting "Permissions denied" error when you try to use the locations services?

Add a Comment

Can we get an update on this?

AFAICT nothing has changed since my last update.

Rather than polling this thread, I encourage you to file your own bug about this. That’ll be closed as a duplicate of the above-mentioned bug (well, the bug that that bug was closed as a duplicate off :-) but it also means that our bugs folks will notify you if and when it’s fixed.

Share and Enjoy

• Thanks, Quinn. I just added mine to the pile (FB11484780: iOS 15.x Simulators are all missing Location Services under Privacy).

This is a blocker for our efforts to move certain manual tests (on real devices) to automated testing (with simulators); running them only on iOS 14 and below largely defeats the purpose of automating them. Please encourage DevTools Engineering to fix this regression sooner rather than later. :-)

• It's been 9 months. Have you been privvy to anything further on this issue, Quinn? Here is the link to my bug report, btw.

Add a Comment

Also in iOS 16.0 simulators the location privacy setting is missing

Running iOS 16.0 simulator and the location privacy setting is still missing. But it works fine on a physical device running iOS 16. I already submitted the bug report (FB11696954)

With iOS 15 and 16 affected, this is becoming a major testing blocker. Please escalate this bug.

• If you have not submitted a bug report yet, I suggest you do so. I tend to think that is a good way to let the development team know how many people it is effecting. I put in a bug report when I first found this which is now over 1 year ago. I kinda assumed that it would be fixed with iOS 16, but not an update to iOS 15. I was surprised when it was not corrected in 16. My guess is very few people have put in any kind of a bug report on this issue and so it is not very high on the priority list.

• I'm pretty sure I filed a bug a couple of years ago.

Add a Comment

I've just filed my bug report (FB12171294)

Please do the same if you want this issue resolved on the next simulator released!

This seems to be an issue on simulators in Xcode 15+. The app settings location permissions appear on a real device, but not on any of the simulators. I did find a hack to make it appear and this was by requesting ATT permission this does show both the location & ATT permission.

I’ve filled a feedback myself FB13330752

Below is my post with more info describing the issue.

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/740598