Kernel panic crash with 2 external LG displays - Monterey 12.0.1 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

After installing Monterey 12.0.1, my MacBook Pro crashes if I have the laptop retina display open and both LG monitors connected. Worked fine on Big Sur, no other changes.

I can run the retina and one LG display, or run both LG displays with the laptop lid closed, but it kernel panics after about 60 seconds if all three displays are on.

• MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  • 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
  • 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
  • 1 TB SSD (APPLE SSD AP1024N)

Monitors:

• LG 27UD68-P
  • Each connected through a separate USB-C hub via HDMI
  • Both plugged in on the right-hand side of the MacBook

Same issue. It just makes the Mac useless

Sorry to bump an old thread, but hoping there has been a solution discovered... :-)

This crash with the 3rd monitor is still happening for me even after a couple of OS upgrades, including a clean Sonoma 14.1.2 re-install

It seems ok if the displays are mirroring, but its when they are independent that the issue occurs.

This happens most days as the monitors come out of hibernation but have also tried unplugging before waking up / booting the mac. It seems twitchier about the LGTV,. Though if it survives the display dance, it can then be pretty stable unless one of the monitors goes in to power saving... (and have tried to disable this as much as possible in the respective devices).

MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2 Intel MacBook Pro 16Gb / I7 Dell 4k 27" 2721Q (via USBC-> HDMI JSAux cable) LG TV 4K (via USBC-> HDMI JSAux cable) UN81006LB (v4.50.52) - p.s. , and the underscan option doesn't seem to work here :-( so I have to guess what the menus are ;-) but 50" is nice ;-) though it does on a mac air running Ventura 13.6.1 - go figure...

Tried resetting the pram multiple times too... as advised elsewhere...

Anyone found a solution, or got a way to fix the displays rather than letting it do the autodiscovery dance which is when it seems to crash? If this was Linux I would be setting up an xrandr config?

Have shared many crash reports with Apple, and to have this persist across multiple OS updates isn't what I would expect from Apple, as from the discussion above it sounds like it is a pretty common problem with a three display setup.

Alternatively does anyone know what I could capture that would help understand what is going on? i.e. debug logs from the display manager or config when it either crashes or when it works?

Workaround discovered!

• 2.6 GHz 6-Core i7
  • AMD 5300M 4GB
  • 16GB DDR4
  • 4 Thunderbolt ports
  • Sonoma 14.2

This is my work computer and been experiencing this issue. Will crash with more than one external monitor attached - doesn't matter which brand, and doesn't matter the dongle/dock. Noticed when attaching the dongles/dock the fans will spin almost immediately. Intel Power Gadget shows a surge in power consumption, higher clock frequency, and higher temps.

Disabling turbo boost appears to be a workaround as I have not experienced any kernel panics nor any crashes. Currently using Turbo Boost Switcher (not advertising/promoting), but certain can also be done via terminal with some research.

lmk if this or other solutions work for you :)

I am on a MBP 16-inch 2019 Processor: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB Memory: 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

My workaround is to plug in the monitors with the lid open.

1. Plug the 2 monitors with the laptop lid. 2 Monitors and Laptop Monitor alive
  2. Close the lid and keep only the 2 monitors

Every other solution i tried ended up in kernel panic.

Kernel panic crash with 2 external LG displays - Monterey 12.0.1 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Q