Kernel panic crash with 2 external LG displays - Monterey 12.0.1 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

After installing Monterey 12.0.1, my MacBook Pro crashes if I have the laptop retina display open and both LG monitors connected. Worked fine on Big Sur, no other changes.

I can run the retina and one LG display, or run both LG displays with the laptop lid closed, but it kernel panics after about 60 seconds if all three displays are on.

• MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  • 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
  • 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
  • 1 TB SSD (APPLE SSD AP1024N)

Monitors:

• LG 27UD68-P
  • Each connected through a separate USB-C hub via HDMI
  • Both plugged in on the right-hand side of the MacBook

I have a similar issue as well. Same MB Pro year/size. I have 3 external monitors plus the retina on the laptop. I can run the 2 Dell monitors plus the retina but if I add in my LG 27UD58 as the 4th monitor everything freezes.

I have exact same problem, after upgrading to Monterrey 12.0.1, connecting two monitors causes MacBook to freeze and forceful restart is required.

The same as above, i've got the windowserver timeout crash in a few minutes, each time after i connect the second external monitor. No matter what cables or ports are used.

I am also having this same problem. Is anyone using OnScreen App from LG? I found this app was causing kernel panic. I start the Mac, start the OnScreen, get my monitors working, then shut off OnScreen app. Is anyone else doing this? BTW - there is a new version of OnScreen Control available today - 5.23. I am waiting to see if it causes a crash.

Similar computer (w/ 8GB graphics) and problem but I'm using two Dell P2415Q connected via an Anker PowerExpand Elite 13-in-1 Thunderbolt 3 Dock with one display on HDMI and one using thunderbolt-to-DP. I can run the external displays without the Retina display and I can run the Retina with either of the external displays but as soon as I add a third display, regardless of whether i'm adding a 2nd external display to the Retina to the external displays, WindowServer freezes.

I have a similar issue, on 12.0.1 - laptop is closed and connected to two external monitors (Thunderbolt and an ASUS monitor. Not using onscreen.

Using 1 monitor + the laptop display seems to be working fine though. This was never an issue on previous OS versions.

I have the same issue here. My config is below: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 6 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB Every day I have "unexpected" crashes 3-6 times daily, after I install the new macOS Monterey. It was running great on BigSur I am running two monitors plus a retina. Just spoke with Apple, and opened a case, and they did some troubleshooting which was pressing "options+command+p+r" and the PC restarts two times and that was it. I sent them my crash report, and they did not take a look at it at all to see if what is the issue. I am sending to "Apple" support every crash, but no fix so far. This is so far for the last month. It is so annoying to reopen, re-login to every app, and lose data too. They said it happens again to reinstall the OS. It happened again after 30 minutes I hung with Apple support, and I do not think it will be resolved with reinstalling the MacOS. C'mon Apple, do something!!!

Same here with three external monitors, MacBook Pro 16" intel, 3 external LG monitors + Retina, crashes after a while. When using two external monitors + retina it seems fine. I guess Big Sur it is until this gets fixed!

Similar problem. After upgrading to Monterey started experiencing freezes and strange visual artifacts on some open windows... Can't exactly replicate, but it happens very frequently (so much so that is it is not feasible to use the second external monitor), and it seems to happen more when connecting the second external monitor.

I have a Dell and an LG monitor. Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019). The issue happens with both monitors connected through USB-C - HDMI cables, connected directly or through a hub.

Similar problem.

After upgrading my Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019) to Monterey I started experiencing freezes and strange visual artifacts on some open windows... Can't exactly replicate, but it happens very frequently (so much so that is it is not feasible to use the second external monitor), and it seems to happen more when connecting the second external monitor.

I have a Dell and an LG monitor. The issue happens with both monitors connected through USB-C - HDMI cables, connected directly or through a hub, when using the Macbook in clamshell mode.

I have been successful in maintaining a stable setup running by making sure that the computer boots with the two monitor cables plugged in before hand. I also disabled the sleep option in the power configurations just to make sure, but I think the key is just to have the monitors plugged in on boot...

Hope this helps. Also hoping to see an update/fix from Apple.

I have been experiencing the same issue. Identical MB specs but my external monitors are Asus VP28U. Doesn't matter which hub or dock is used or if they are connected directly. Also played around with ports - left and right - same result. This has only happened since the upgrade to Monterey.

Exactly the same issue has anyone had any resolution for this?

Exact same issue. Retina and one external monitor is fine. Retina and two external monitors causes my MBP to hang and the only thing that will bring it back is a hard reboot. This was not an issue with the last OS, just Monterey. Come on Apple, test before you release! This is a joke.

Same.

12.0.1 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Frequent crashes immediately after Monterrey upgrade. Seems to only crash when using two monitors connected via USB to HDMI hubs/cables. My home two-monitor setup with two usb-c monitors hasn't crashed yet.

FWIW, 12.1 does not fix this bug.

This is kind of amazing. This is my first MAC and I was not expecting to have daily reboots with kernel panics with a laptop whose price is almost 4000$. I hope Apple to fix this ASAP.

The same issue here. I have a Macbook pro 16 (2019 model). I paid 5800$, and it's constantly crashing on two external monitors. It was fine in the previous version of Mac. I had some crashes occasionally with the older version of Mac as well, but not that frequent. The only trick for now is both monitors should be connected at the time of boot so if I want to disconnect it from monitors then I have to restart it.

P.S: Both monitors are Dell. I don't think the brand of monitor matters but just FYI

I have the same problem! Since macOS Monterey 12.1 I can't close the Mac without the screens turning strangely coloured for a moment and then comes a kernel panic crash.

I also own a Macbook pro 16 (2019 model) and have it connected to two monitors (the first is a Dell, the other a Samsung monitor).

I have the same issue and I'm using a docking station connected to a 4k monitor. I have found that the issue happens when my laptop goes to sleep (I have the laptop in closed position). Disabling the "Put HDD to sleep when possible" and enabling "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" seemed to have made the trick. The downside is that my computer never sleeps when connected to power. hope it helps.

I have the same issue and i use Big Sur 11.x, it have to crash once or twice a day

Same problem for me with 2 monitors connected to my MBP via USB-C HDMI adapters. When I replace one with a DisplayPort adapter, it works just fine.

Has anyone contacted Apple about this?

I am on my second MBP 2019 that has had widespread system crashing issues, mainly CPU panics ( see below). Seems to only occur in the middle of the night, not while I am actively using the laptop. Gone though all the diagnostics on the first computer which had 16gb ram, they finally decided to replace it under warranty, I am now having the same issues with the replacement macbook which now has 32gb ram. Using the latest version Monterey 12.1 ...I am using a Kensington SD5500T docking station with thunderbolt 3 and usb c and connecting to two Dell U4919DW monitors both set to 5120x1440 resolution connected via USB-C. I've tried 3 replacement docking stations and ruled that out as the culprit.

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff800ecd41a8): Wake transition timed out after 180 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Panicked task 0xffffff99ef4d5670: 6275 threads: pid 0: kernel_task Backtrace (CPU 0), panicked thread: 0xffffff9049b32aa0, Frame : Return Address

Hello all,

I have the same problem, but in my case I have a MBP 13in 2017, w/ 8gb. I have used my MPB with 2 external monitors, using both USB-C connections. But, recently I have had many panic crashes. I stoped to use my monitors and instead I only use the MBP's monitor. But, I'm having the same problem WHEN I PLUG MY MPB TO THE POWER!. If I use the laptop without plugging, it works fine! I can use many apps as I want, but when I plug it to the power, doesn't matter if the battery is full or low, It crashes frequently. I wanna buy a MBP 16in 2019, but reading this post, now I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

The panic crashes alway change, sometimes it's regarding to WindowsServer process, and other times it's due to some Zoom's process, firefox's process, even Apple Process, like kernel_task.

Almost identical issue here with a 2019 iMac with 2 external monitors. Never ever had a kernel panic until I upgraded to Monterey last night and now any time the screens power down (if I leave the Mac untouched) it kernel panics. 7 or 8 times today already.

Same issue here with a 27-inch Apple Thunderbolt display connected (via an adapter).

MacOS Monterey Version 12.1

MacBook Pro (15-inc 2017)

Processor 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Kernel panic crash with 2 external LG displays - Monterey 12.0.1 MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Q