How to stop App Store Connect from silently auto-incrementing build numbers

App Store Connect used to reject builds that were uploaded if they had the same version/build number combo, but at some point in the recent past App Store Connect (or maybe it's xcodebuild?) has started to just increment the build number by 1 and the upload succeeds. But this results in me not knowing which build version I really have on App Store Connect. I'm using xcodebuild to archive and upload to App Store Connect.

Anyone know why this is happening, and if there's a way to not automatically increment the build number?

Thanks

• To clarify: App Store Connect used to reject uploads if they had the same version/build number combo as a build that was previously uploaded. Now it no longer rejects these, but silently increments the build number so that the submission succeeds. But what I want is the old behavior of rejecting the upload if a build is submitted with the same build number

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Please see prior forum discussions on changes to build numbers in Xcode 13.

• Thank you so much. I tried searching the forums and google but was only finding older posts about people wanting the opposite of what I was looking for.

Add a Comment

Replies

If you declare your own build number in the project, it will be taken into account automatically:

Define it here in General tab in Identity section:

Then you will get it also here in Build Settings:

• Thanks for your response, but my build number is declared in my project as you show. My issue is that if a build is submitted to App Store Connect that has the same build number as a build that was previously submitted, App Store Connect silently auto-increments the build number and accepts the upload. This is not what I want as this results in the build number I see on ASC not matching the build I uploaded. But this only started happening relatively recently. Before, in this situation, the upload would be rejected, which is what I want.

Add a Comment

Please see prior forum discussions on changes to build numbers in Xcode 13.

• Thank you so much. I tried searching the forums and google but was only finding older posts about people wanting the opposite of what I was looking for.

Add a Comment

For anyone else coming here:

Using xcodebuild:

• Add the key manageAppVersionAndBuildNumber as a bool with a value of 0 to your export options plist file (provided to xcodebuild with the -exportOptionsPlist argument.

Using Xcode GUI:

• Uncheck the box that says 'Manage Version and Build Number'
Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of bioJ Down vote reply of bioJ
Add a Comment

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/690647?answerId=689925022#689925022 this answer will help you