No reason crash on iOS 15 EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)

After iOS 15 release, we seeing a lot NO_CRASH_STACK crashes from Xcode organizer with so many different crash stack.

But look into the crash logs, we find some regular pattern:

1. Most happens on old devices like iPhone 8.x or iPhone 9.x.

2. Most of them happened in 10 seconds after launch.

3. There is no crash reason in log.

4. All crash code is 0x00.

5. Most of them have "Kernel Triage: VM - Fault hit memory shortage" or "Kernel Triage: VM - Compressor failed a blocking pager_get".

So I have no idea how to solve it because it looks like our app killed by system with some reason that not shown in log. I guess maybe is memory issue but I have no idea how to locate the problem logic or function in our code.

I also posted a report: FB9816327

Does anyone get some issue?

Is there any idea how I can locate the issue and fix these crashes?

Here are some of the crash logs:

• I'm getting a lot of crashes like this on my App too. Just to be curious, how many dynamic dependencies does your App have? (Pods/carthage/spm) We're unable to reproduce this on our devices, but as you say, we have a lot of crashes like this, and all of them on iOS > 15

• @IvanOT We have about 40 dynamic dependencies and all use Pods.

I'm curious about how do you reproduce on devices. Can you give me some advice to reproduce them, we can't reproduce on devices so we don't know what to do to fix them. And if you can reproduce on devices, do you fix them? Do you have any conclusion about these crashes?

• Any new insights on this?

Replies

@lei No, I can't reproduce it on any device..

Quoting myself in a different forums thread:

For anyone receiving a system termination (i.e. a Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGKILL)) and also seeing 0x0 in the Exception Codes line, the system should have output additional information useful for diagnosing the reason the system terminated the app, such as the exception codes 0x8badf00d0xdead10cc, or 0xbaadca11, as documented in Understanding the Exception Types in a Crash Report.

The reports you posted suggest 0x8badf00d is the most likely reason here, though I can't say that definitely. All of these crashes are early in your app's lifetime, based on the time stamps for launch time and the time of the crash. Focus your debugging efforts on ensuring that your launch time is fast, both as a complete app launch as well as when restoring from the suspended state.

Add a Comment