Unable to Boot the Simulator (Xcode 13.3)

My version of Xcode was recently updated to 13.3. Now, I can not launch any simulator. I get an "Unable to Boot the Simulator" error from any iOS 15.4 device.

I have deleted all 15.4 devices, and am downloading 15.2 devices to test.

Some other sources are reporting this, too, but I saw nothing on the Developer Forums so thought I'd open a question here.

Hoping for speedy resolution so I don't have to use Android emulators :(. (I develop on Flutter, which is cross platform)

• Why on earth will you be using Android emulators for iOS development? The issue here could be that your iOS sims are being launched by some Javascript framework that is incompatible with Xcode 13.3.

• I'm using all emulators for cross platform development! Sorry if that wasn't obvious - edited the original post to make it clearer.

• My quick solution was to install version 13.2 again.. After that, everything is working well 😬 https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=xcode

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

A reinstall did the trick for me. Back in business.

• See below. Clearing Xcode Cache is enough. Storage > Developer > Delete Xcode Cache and old iOS sim devices.

• Clearing Xcode Cache works for me

Add a Comment

Replies

A reinstall did the trick for me. Back in business.

• See below. Clearing Xcode Cache is enough. Storage > Developer > Delete Xcode Cache and old iOS sim devices.

• Clearing Xcode Cache works for me

Add a Comment

Same issue here, i was able to "solve it" by downloading the simulator for ios 15.2 instead of 15.4, then creating a new simulator using that version.

Now the simulator loads, but only on devices with 15.2 .

Just open xcode -> windows -> devices and simulators, click on the Simulators tab , click New, click on the OS Version dropdown and choose "Download more simulator runtimes", download 15.2 and create a new simulator with 15.2 as OS Version.

There seems to have been a problem with the simulator runtime for 15.4 in this xcode version

• I am facing the same issue after I installed Xcode CLI tools 13.3.1. My current Xcode Version 13.3.1 (13E500a) and macOS is Monterey Version 12.3.1

• That worked for me. I installed the 15.2 iOS version, and I could launch the simulator immediately. Thanks for the help!

Add a Comment

Same problem. I cannot launch device which os version is 15.4 or 15.5 (Only black screen or SpringBoard error). Older devices simulators (15.2/14.5 and other) launch normally. Mac OS Monterey 12.4/12.3 Xcode 13.4/13.3.1.

Changing simulator device help me fix this

So after looking in several threads I assume that there is a problem with older hardware (specially the gpu) and Monterey / newer Xcode versions. I don't know which gpu you are using but older ones have problems with OpenCL (which looks like Xcode is using). If you have a discrete and internal gpu try the following: -Open the Simulator or launch it -Under File/GPU Selection choose "Prefer integrated GPU" (this will only use the internal gpu of your Mac.) -Close Simulator and Xcode and try it again with newer Simulators like 13.4 or above. (But be aware that the performance is lower than with the external gpu)

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of Noem Down vote reply of Noem

No need to download a new ios version. All you need is to go to About this Mac > Storage > Manage > Delete XCode Cache. And, it works for me

• You are right. Clearing Xcode Cache works for me too.

• Same here. I'm working on a Flutter app, and it happens frequently. The first time I reinstalled XCode, it worked. The second I just cleared the cache.

• Great, It worked

Go to About this Mac > Storage > Manage > Delete XCode Cache and all old versions of iOS. Then run again. It works for me.

Thanks this worked for me on 12.4 as well!

Thanks this worked for me.

It's 2023, The latest MacOS is Ventura and the latest Xcode Version is 14.3.1. Here's how I solved this problem:

MacOS System Setting > Search for "Storage" > Click on "Developer" > Delete XCode Cache

Thanks this worked for me.

Clearing cache worked for me.

Clearing the cache with rm -r ~/Library/Developer/CoreSimulator/Caches worked for me.