Unusual errors in xcodebuild

I am getting the following errors when running xcodebuild from the command line:

xcodebuild[22187:279813] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

xcodebuild[22187:279813] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

What does this mean, and how do I fix it?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of laughingblue Down vote post of laughingblue
67k views
  • I have the same issue I have tried all the possible solutions but not use can any one please help on this issue

• I am no longer getting that error. I downloaded the most recent version of xCode 13.3.1 and the command line developer tools and installed those manually. It worked on both my work computer Macbook Pro (2017) and my personal computer Macbook Pro (2019).

• Carl-Olsen: I installed XCOde 13.3.1, and have Monterey 13.3.1 installed. I downloaded the command line developer tools and used the Apple Installer provided to install it. Having the same problem.

You say you installed the command line developer tools manually. What did you do, to do that? That is something extra from just using the Apple Installer?

Replies

I was getting the same error when I read the error below these line I find the actual issue and the problem was solved. in my case I was building flutter app from command line.

• Please mention ,how you solved it? Thanks.

Add a Comment

I have the same message since I have updated to Xcode 13.3. On my Macbook and on the CI as well. But it's not a real error, more like an info/warning that does not block building and running a project. But curious about the why though.

After installing Xcode 13.3, start up Xcode and it should ask you for permission to install extra components, go ahead and do that. Once done, the errors on the CLI should go away, they did for me.

• @Murrphy for me, Xcode is not asking for permission to install extra components, how to dom it manually?

• I'm having the same issue. Need manual installation instructions

• I was able to get it installed by opening app store then search for xcode and open it from there (it said it was updated). when I opened it a popup asked me to install the added features before opening.

I have two computers, one personal and one company. The company one never works right because they have it jacked up with security. So, on the company computer, I just logged into Apple Developer and manually downloaded the Command Line Tools for xCode 13.3 (701.86 MB). I am not seeing that error on the command line now.

• Sorry, wrong answer! This fixed it:

sudo xcode-select -s /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

• The solution suggested by @Carl-Olsen worked for me and I am no longer facing the following warning. Thanks !

• For me, running that command line results in this error:

xcode-select: error: invalid developer directory '/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/'. I had to uninstall and then reinstall as shown by AlphaBo below.

I have two computers, one personal and one company. The company one never works right because they have it jacked up with security. So, on the company computer, I just logged into Apple Developer and manually downloaded the Command Line Tools for xCode 13.3 (701.86 MB). I am not seeing that error on the command line now.

• Sorry, wrong answer! This fixed it:

• That does make the junk warning go away, but it's no kind of solution. The fix needs to come from Apple.

• sudo xcode-select -s /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

This is the solution

Thank you so much!!

Having the same issue, and seems more current with 13.3. Had to downgrade to 13.2.1 till this is fixed.

In my case, the following command has resolved the issue:

softwareupdate --install
  • Nah, it doesn't fix the issue. Sorry!

• This did fix the issue for me. Previously, I installed the Xcode command-line tools through Software Update. For 13.3, however, I installed the command-line tools manually. Since then I got these "Requested but did not find..." messages.

Add a Comment

None of the suggestions made here have resolved the problem for me (nor for some others, as noted above).
You don't even have to build anything to get this to happen:

% xcodebuild --help

2022-04-22 19:10:49.692 xcodebuild[53065:8448383] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

2022-04-22 19:10:49.692 xcodebuild[53065:8448383] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

Usage: xcodebuild [-project <projectname>] [[-target <targetname>]...|-alltargets] . . . . 

This with Xcode 13.3.1 and CommandLineTools installed (both by request then, again, manually).
Note, while --help causes trouble --usage does not:

% xcodebuild --usage   

Usage: xcodebuild [-project <projectname>] [[-target <targetname>]...|-alltargets] . . . .

Be glad you're not on my other (M1) Mac:

% xcodebuild --help

objc[46924]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerRestoreInfoHelper is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x20496deb0) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x105ad84f8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[46924]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerFirmwareAggregateRequestCreator is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x20496df00) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x105ad8548). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[46924]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerFirmwareRequestCreator is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x20496df50) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x105ad8598). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[46924]: Class ATCRTRestoreInfoFTABFile is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x20496dfa0) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x105ad85e8). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[46924]: Class AppleTypeCRetimerFirmwareCopier is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x20496dff0) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x105ad8638). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

objc[46924]: Class ATCRTRestoreInfoFTABSubfile is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall.dylib (0x20496e040) and /Library/Apple/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/MobileDevice (0x105ad8688). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

2022-04-22 19:28:15.138 xcodebuild[46924:2646597] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

2022-04-22 19:28:15.138 xcodebuild[46924:2646597] Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

• I have exactly the same problem since I've updated to Monterey 12.3.1. When I call git the first time I open a terminal, I get the error message. It disappears on the second use. And it is triggered with xcodebuild --help but not xcodebuild --usage.

So far, I get the message, but I don't see any problem. I only see the message and everything works fine.

• Same here also.

Add a Comment

Like others I was getting no prompt for updating the CLI tools.

Running softwareupdate --install did not work for me.

SOLUTION (for me):

I had to first find the software update manually:

softwareupdate --list

This provided me with the following output:

Finding available software
Software Update found the following new or updated software:
* Label: Command Line Tools for Xcode-13.3
	Title: Command Line Tools for Xcode, Version: 13.3, Size: 718145KiB, Recommended: YES, 

I then ran:

softwareupdate -i "Command Line Tools for Xcode-13.3"

(NOTE: You pass the "Label:" output as the string as yours could be different.

• Worked perfectly for me with Xcode-14.0 too. Thank you.

Add a Comment

This worked for me:

Remove CommandLineTools

sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

Reinstall CommandLineTools

xcode-select --install

Select CommandLineTools

• Thanks. This is the solution.

sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools xcode-select --install sudo xcode-select -s /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools

• This work for me too! Thanks 👍

• Also worked here, after 2 tries. Thanks!

Hi,

I also have this problem recently, appeared suddenly, on Xcode 13.3.1 and Monterey 12.3.1. This issue prevents me from building an iOS app with watchOS companion, but not an iOS app alone. When I build I get this error:

error: WatchKit App doesn't contain any WatchKit Extensions. Verify that the value of NSExtensionPointIdentifier in your WatchKit Extension's Info.plist is set to com.apple.watchkit.

Unfortunately, I have tried all the solutions above, without success.

The solutions here didn't work for me, but then I looked in Xcode's Preferences under the Locations tab and saw that the Command Line Tools popup was blank. Selecting a toolset from that fixed the problem for me.

• Thanks, it worked!

• This should be an answer! great!

• this did not work for me, because I came upon this thread after getting the error messages after running clang, and when I went to XCode -> preferences -> Locations, my "command line tools" item was already populated by Xcode 13.4.1 (13F100). I'm using latest monterey as of September 2022 on 14 inch M1 pro.

@veda2wratha, what did you do to solve this issue?

This happened to me when using git clone command. From what i've read throw this thread this will happed when XCode has some available updates for the command line tools. By simply updating Xcode and all it's components the messages where gone

This where the messages: Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionSentinelHostApplications for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionHosts.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

Requested but did not find extension point with identifier Xcode.IDEKit.ExtensionPointIdentifierToBundleIdentifier for extension Xcode.DebuggerFoundation.AppExtensionToBundleIdentifierMap.watchOS of plug-in com.apple.dt.IDEWatchSupportCore

A similar thread: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/698628

I had the same issues with my M1 mac, getting constantly annoying kernel warnings spamming my log output when using some of the tools bundled with Xcode, such as xcodebuild. None of the solutions above or elsewhere helped, such as resetting (sudo xcode-select -r), reinstalling command line tools (sudo rm -rf /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools; sudo xcode-select --install), exporting SDKROOT environment variable (export SDKROOT=$(xcrun --sdk macosx --show-sdk-path)), installing older Xcode versions from Apple's website (https://developer.apple.com/download/all/?q=xcode and then sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/Xcode_13_0.app) -- in fact older versions made it worse and in Xcode 13.4 they fixed at least the symbol collisions with libauthinstall.dylib and when I switched to older versions they came back.

This is consistently triggered when just using xcodebuild -h command.

This is very annoying, especially for users using the command line. I even tried filtering them through /etc/asl.conf with custom rules and failed, so my solution for now (although ugly, but works) is to wrap the xcodebuild command with a script that greps out the annoying logs that do not affect the build:

• Rename xcodebuild executable to xcodebuildd:

sudo mv /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/{xcodebuild,xcodebuildd}

• Create the wrapper script filtering annoying messages:

sudo vim /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild

• Paste this:
#!/bin/bash
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuildd "${@}" 2>&1 | grep -vE "is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall\.dylib|with identifier Xcode\.IDEKit"
  • Add permissions to execute:

sudo chmod +x /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuild

And viola, clean output!

Note however that this may cause problems if your application parses xcodebuild's output, because in some cases it outputs the process name (e.g. when using xcodebuild -h). In that case, it's a little bit more tricky to make it output the same xcodebuild name, since if we move it to a custom directory, the @rpath libraries where xcodebuild depends upon are relative to the executable, so if we move it to a different directory, we need to change the executable @rpaths to absolute paths and then force sign it. This can be done with the following commands:

cd /tmp
cp /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/xcodebuildd xcodebuild
install_name_tool ./xcodebuild \
  -add_rpath /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Frameworks \
  -add_rpath /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SystemFrameworks \
  -add_rpath /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks \
  -add_rpath /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns

codesign -s '-' xcodebuild -f
sudo mkdir -p /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ext
sudo mv xcodebuild /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ext/xcodebuild

So now we can update our wrapper script to use it instead:

#!/bin/bash
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/ext/xcodebuild "${@}" 2>&1 | grep -vE "is implemented in both /usr/lib/libauthinstall\.dylib|with identifier Xcode\.IDEKit"

Probably resetting the mac to factory settings may help with things, but if this is not an option for you, hopefully this temporarily solution helps until Apple fixes this issue.

• The problem comes from the M1 processor run in this project arch -x86_64 pod install close any current Xcode sessions and use Project.xcworkspace for this project from now on.

Add a Comment