Issues with live streams and AirPlay

Since iOS 15.4 I am having a serious issue with AirPlay. Please note, this issue is against the AVAudio framework and I reproduced the issue with all projects that run this framework.

For example: React Native TrackPlayer has this problem. Swift Radio Project has this issue too. And also, I found some modules on Github that say they have the same issue.

What happens When I open my app and start playing my audio stream, it starts playing on the iPhone. When I change the output to my MacBook Pro or HomePod (or any other AirPlay device), there is no sound. The strange thing is that the HomePod lids up, but there is no sound.

When stopping and starting the stream again while connected via AirPlay, it is working correctly. However, switching the output to the iPhone stops the stream again.

What I expected I expected AirPlay to work as prior iOS 15.4. This means the audio keeps playing when switching from iPhone to HomePod and vice versa. I tested it with older iOS versions (15.2) that was available a few months ago, and it worked perfectly. So it seems this is certainly an issue with the newer versions.

What causes the issue The issue seems to be only with live audo streams. When I test it with an MP3 (doesn't matter if it is offline or online), it works perfectly fine and as intended. This problem only happens with live audio streams.

I have also sent a bug report many times, but Apple didn't reply and the bug is still there in iOS 15.5. I hoped Apple would be more interested in such breaking bugs.

What I also did, is removing longformAudio en adding mixWithOthers. That works perfectly, but then the controls on the Control Center and home screen are missing, of course.

Is there any way to solve it or a way to talk to the Apple developers so we can see what we can do about it?

• Me too have the same issue with Dynaudio Music airplay speakers after iOS15.4 update, persist in iOS15.5

The airplay speaker may suddenly change its order in Airplay enumeration list, from for example 2nd to the 1st in the list, when this happened, it's unable to stream anything to which.The speaker itself is functional for WebRadio streaming, volume adjust, recv control over App etc.., only Airplay streaming was stucked. Only rebooting the speaker or Wifi will get rid of this issue for a while.

Seems the airplay enumeration list and audio/command streaming mux had some issues, I suspect this is related to the addition of Facetime sharepaly function.

Add a Comment