Altool: Error: Could not determine the package’s bundle ID. The package is missing an Info.plist or the CFBundlePackageType is not ‘APPL’ or ‘FMWK’. Unable to validate your application. (-21017)

Hi,

I'm trying to build and upload an iOS app from the command line but when using altool to upload the IPA file, i get the following error:

Error: Could not determine the package’s bundle ID. The package is missing an Info.plist or the CFBundlePackageType is not ‘APPL’ or ‘FMWK’. Unable to validate your application. (-21017)

I'm building the app with the following steps:

xcodebuild archive -scheme MyApp -workspace ./ios/MyApp.xcworkspace -configuration Release -archivePath "~/Downloads/test.xcarchive"

xcodebuild -exportArchive -archivePath "~/Downloads/test.xcarchive" -exportOptionsPlist ./ios/MyApp/exportOptions.plist -exportPath "~/Downloads/test.ipa"

altool --upload-app -f "~/Downloads/test.ipa" --type ios -u "REDACTED" -p "REDACTED"

My Info.plist actually has a CFBundlePackageType key with the APPL value.

I noticed there is no Info.plist file in the output folder (~/Downloads/test.ipa/), but i'm not even sure it should have one.

My exportOption.plist file loks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>method</key>
    <string>app-store</string>
    <key>teamID</key>
    <string>REDACTED</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I'm using XCode 13.4.

Thank you for your help

Problem solved: Turns out the IPA generated by xcodebuild was not the exportPath itself, it was inside the exportPath folder:

altool --upload-app -f "~/Downloads/test.ipa/MyApp.ipa" --type ios -u "REDACTED" -p "REDACTED"
Altool: Error: Could not determine the package’s bundle ID. The package is missing an Info.plist or the CFBundlePackageType is not ‘APPL’ or ‘FMWK’. Unable to validate your application. (-21017)

Q