App crash with entitlements

Hi forum!

I'm a n00b in apple development, so I apologise in advance if something is very wrong.

I have a python app for MacOS that I am deploying with pyinstaller (thus I am NOT using Xcode). The app is to be deployed through github not through the app store. I could sign it and notarize it and it works. However, the app needs to run some external unsigned code (like a plugin). The hardened runtime blocks that, so I need to add entitlements. I've done it as it's explained in many other places with codesign. It seems to work but when I run the app, it crashes immediately with EXC_CRASH (Code signature invalid). The crash doesn't happen unless I add the entitlements.

Now my questions: how do I make my situation work? Do I need a provisioning profile? The entitlements I am trying to add (hardened runtime-related) are not restricted AFAIK, so I don't think I do?

If I need a provisioning profile, how can I add it to the app after it's bundled with pyinstaller?

Thank you so much!

Francesco

Accepted Reply

and my entitlements.plist is the following:

Literally? If so, the problem is that your com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation key has a leading newline. Your property list should look like this:

% cat test.entitlements 
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

This is one example of a whole class of problems that cause ongoing grief for developers. I’ve used this thread as a reminder to add it to my Resolving Code Signing Crashes on Launch post. Check out the shiny new Normalise the Entitlements Property List section.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

To investigate this you can follow the instructions in Resolving Trusted Execution Problems.

However, I suspect that other factors are in play here. The entitlement required to disable library validation, Disable Library Validation Entitlement or com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation, is not restricted, which means it doesn’t need to be authorised by a provisioning profile. The fact that you’re hitting a code signing crash suggests that you’re claiming some other entitlement, a restricted entitlement that does need a provisioning profile.

Can you post an example crash report? See Posting a Crash Report for advice on how to do that.

Share and Enjoy

Thank you for your reply!

I am attaching the entitlements with (I tried with and without --deep):

codesign -o runtime --entitlements ../entitlements.plist -s "Francesco" -f Dafne.app

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
    <key>
com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation</key>
    <true/>
  </dict>
</plist>

I am attaching the crash report. Any clue?

Thanks a lot?

Literally? If so, the problem is that your com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation key has a leading newline. Your property list should look like this:

% cat test.entitlements 
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>

This is one example of a whole class of problems that cause ongoing grief for developers. I’ve used this thread as a reminder to add it to my Resolving Code Signing Crashes on Launch post. Check out the shiny new Normalise the Entitlements Property List section.

Share and Enjoy

Oh I feel so stupid! It works now!

I had copied that coded verbatim from some posts, and then I tried changing everything else but never thought to check that!

Thank you so much!

Francesco