Enterprise Distribution and Developer Mode

I have updated my developer device to iOS 16 and tried to download an App we have distributed within the company, signed with an enterprise certificate.

According to "Get to know Developer Mode" talk (wwdc2022-110344), Enterprise Distribution is not affected by Developer Mode,

For example, deploying your application through TestFlight or using Enterprise in-house distribution does not require Developer Mode

Is this a bug in beta 1 or is the intended behavior and the talk is wrong?

Has anyone experienced this?

Replies

Hey @rextremotabaresDT,

Thanks for posting on the forums!

I am running the iOS 16 Beta on my iPhone 13 and I have been able to successfully install Enterprise signed applications. Are you running into an error that you would be able to share on the forums? Do you have any device console logs that help pinpoint where the error is happening during the installation process?

When attempting to install an Enterprise application, does the device already have an approved Enterprise certificate or is this the first Enterprise application you are attempting to install and the certificate is not approved?

Hopefully this helps and happy coding!

I ran some tests with XCode 14.0 beta and XCode 134.1 For each version of this App I archive and export with Enterprise certificate it does not run on the iOS 16 device. However, if I create a new App, or an App containing the same references (SPM, CocoaPods) it works. So I am starting to asume the problem is with this particular App or something within its configuration is not being nice with iOS 16. I checked the console logs and the only thing I get is error: [<package> - signature state: Unknown (10), reason: Developer mode is required to run this application

The error I get on the device is just a warning that I need to enable Developer Mode to run that application. As I said, ipa was signed with an Enterprise certificate. I have tested with the device not having any other enterprise application installed, and having another application installed and the result is the same.

Apparently the only error I can trace is that developer mode is needed to install the application (if I activate developer mode it runs properly, but as I said this should not be the proper behavior, as I cannot ask every user to enable developer mode, even worse if that feature would require XCode in gold version)

Any update on this? I am experiencing the same issue with latest beta (for both iOS and XCode). I filed a radar (#10105833) but never received an answer. Last application I generated today was properly signed with the certificate for distribution (not development) and generated as enterprise distribution but it still states that I have to enable developer mode.

• I understand this was an issue with the beta version of iOS16, but it seems it is still an issue on the full version.

Add a Comment

Hi,

We are having this exact same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, it is a critical issue for us.

Thanks, Donal.

Hello, We have the same behavior the app requires developer mode to be switched on, it is a critical issue for us too. Any updates please ?

Same issue here, any update from Apple would be appreciated.

Same issue. I'm using iOS 16.0.2 version and deploying this enterprise LOB via intune. Any updates on fix?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of G-S Down vote reply of G-S

Same issue. I have been using the app in iPad 17.0.3 and iOS 17.3.1.This has become a critical issue for us.Any help would be appreciated.

• I can help you solve these problems, what are your contact details?

Add a Comment

Same issue. I'm using iOS 17.3.1 version. The device tested requires a developer mode. However, devices that have not been tested work normally. ( I ran the test on the employee's device, but the employee doesn't want to activate the developer mode🥲 )