AppleID Login failing in virtualized OS

• +1 for this, I really need this feature, it would speed up so much testing.

• This is essential.

• +1 for this feature. I use VMs to test different developer technologies for which Store sign-in is required.

Apple Recommended

• This is a frustrating, unnecessary limitation. My use case is to isolate development environments, and I was able to do this with macOS before.

• Thank you for clarifying this. At least I now know I wasn't screwing up in my UTM VMs. I will file a feature request; I'd like to be able to use VMs for additional TestFlight testing for apps with System Extensions.

Add a Comment

Replies

We are having the same issues as everyone else. I had hoped the virtualization framework would be more useful, but the inability to login to our developer account means we can't sign our apps within Xcode or test them via the App Store. I filed FB11839055.

• That url doesn't work -- (even if I add the extra 5 not included in the url)

Add a Comment

This is a real "got to have"!

This is a key requirement to make macOS Guest virtualization useful.

The feature is complete useless without appleID log in

Does anyone know how the AppleID authentication is being blocked in virtual machines? Does it look like an intentional macos limitation, or a security feature of some kind?

I need to be able to setup and teardown virtualized software development environments for various reasons. That requires the ability to download and install Xcode on a virtual machine. As it stands, I cannot download and install Xcode on a virtualized Mac OS machine and therefore cannot do what I need to do.

Please prioritize a fix for this!

There are just too many things that appear to be not working if not signed in into iCloud. The list could go on and on, but here is the latest road block that I've bumped into: I've tried installing an extension for Safari and guess what -- I need to sign in with Apple ID on App Store! So, no installing and testing even on this front.

I wish it was much simpler than this, but it looks like the ability to sign in with Apple ID is a must!

yep, this is nuts. Needs resolving. Would love to use my Mac Studio for both my home and work, but they need to be entirely separate from a data perspective and a management one. Simple solution, beaten down entirely by this.

Extremely frustrating. I just purchased a shiney new M2 doorstop. I love the 'idea' of Apple Silicon, but for virtualization it's awful. I was resigned to compromising my needs and using a Dell XPS for virtualizing my Windows/Linux environments, but I bit the bullet and bought a nice M2 MacBook Pro with 32Gig of ram specifically and only to virtualize my macOS environments. I tried using UTM, ran into this issue and figured that UTM might be a little flaky, so I bought Parallels and had the same issue - which is ridiculously infuriating. Using your Apple Id is central to the macOS experience, its tentacles reach into everything, if it doesn't work, then macOS (effectively) doesn't work either. It's the equivilent of saying, "macOS works in a vm, but there isn't any mouse support!" - it's bonkers. I am pleading, Apple, please, please address this!

Not only did it not work, but IT DIDN'T SAY WHY IT DIDN'T WORK. I like to run a VM here and there to compartmentalize work without polluting my main environment. I can add a bunch of apps by direct download, but I can't install ANYTHING from the App Store, sign into Music, etc. Do you want to encourage me NOT to use Apple's ecosystem?

New MacBook Pro M2 Max, 64GB ram, 2TB hdd. 67 freaking billion transistors... Cannot basically work with a virtualized environment. If I would have known about that limitation, I probably would have bought a System76 linux machine. On the other hand I would have surely miss the great battery times. But seriously guys, we do not buy powerful machines like that just to surf the web and read e-mails. I did spit quite a good amount of cash for an extra 32GB just for that reason (virtualization). So that issue has been dragging for a year now and people in this thread have enumerated a nice extensive list of valid reasons why we need the feature. At least let us know if you're not planning to do anything about it (so I can go another direction for my development workflow)

I am trying to use a Monterey VM because Ventura cannot properly handle printer settings which makes Ventura worthless for running professional tools like a RIP.

Now this problem is rearing its ugly head. There is some Apple software which I would also like to use.

It is dismaying that Apple has created this dismal situation.

This is a big problem for us, too.

Apple locks everything to the apple id and in their own platform it doesnt work ????? this is so critical for me that im going back to my old intel macbook pro. doesnt look like apple is listening to the community. Does anyone know if this is even in Apple's roadmap?

I just ran into this problem -- Using Parallels Version 18.2.0 (53488) Business Edition on a host apple silicon MBP (Ventura 13.3). Apple ID works via the web, just not anywhere I need it (like in Xcode to add a Team so I can use certificates and profiles). Currently the only way to test some of the entitlements is to disable SIP -- something I don't have access to do on my production workstation.

Note that this isn't a problem on a personal host Intel mac (also Ventura 13.3) -- I've got VMware Fusion Professional Version 13.0.1 (21139760) on it and the Ventura guest OS I've got running there has no problems using the apple ID anywhere.

I had hoped maybe I could use VMware Fusion on the apple silicon host mac too, however VMWare has stated they do not plan to support macOS as a guest OS in Fusion: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/88697?lang=en_US&queryTerm=88697 -- that and the current version has no way to spin up a macOS guest VM on that kind of host.

If anyone comes up with a workaround for apple silicon host systems, please post here!