Uploading app with Family Controls to TestFlight?

Hello,

does anyone have any info/insight when we will be able to test app version that contains the Family Controls entitlement to TestFlight? iOS 16 is getting really close..

When we try to upload the build, Xcode shows the entitlements error and the Apple Developer portal shows that Family Controls is still available only for Development profile.

Thanks!

Accepted Reply

Try this:

1. Go to Developer > Account > Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles > Profiles.

2. Create a new Development > iOS App Development profile.

3. Select your app’s App ID.

4. Run through the rest of the workflow and, at the end, download the profile.

5. Dump the profile using the command in TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles.

The entitlement allowlist in the profile should include com.apple.developer.family-controls. Confirm that’s the case.

Now repeat the process except, in step 2, create a Distribution > App Store profile. Does that profile include com.apple.developer.family-controls?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

Replies

When we try to upload the build, Xcode shows the entitlements error and the Apple Developer portal shows that Family Controls is still available only for Development profile.

Yeah, that matches my recollection of how this works. You can use this entitlement for development but, for distribution, you’ll need to apply for access to it. Follow the instructions on this page.

Share and Enjoy

• We are encountering the same issue. When we want to distribute the app through App Store Connect to try it out on TestFlight, we are aware we must apply for access to it using https://developer.apple.com/contact/request/family-controls-distribution However, it says that none of the members in our team can view this page. Does anyone know why this is happening?

• Hi @eskimo, I've been waiting on the distribution entitlement request response for over a month (my app is ready to go for testflight otherwise). Do you know if there's any way for me to reach out to follow up with support on this? Emailing and forums have gotten me nowhere so far.

Thank you. Daniel

Add a Comment

Thanks @eskimo!

We inspected the form yesterday but it looked to us as something from iOS 15, when Screen Time was strictly for parental control apps and could be used only in Parent/Guardian - Child setup. Whereas with iOS 16, Screen Time API can be used for individual devices.

I’m not familiar with the Family Controls entitlement approval process, so I can’t offer definitive answers here. However, reading through the form myself, I don’t see any obstacles to you using it for this. I recommend that you give it a whirl.

Share and Enjoy

So we got the entitlement for distribution but I still have the same problem:

I tried removing the developer capability in Apple Developer portal and keeping just the Distribution one but did not help.

Try this:

1. Go to Developer > Account > Certificates, Identifiers & Profiles > Profiles.

2. Create a new Development > iOS App Development profile.

3. Select your app’s App ID.

4. Run through the rest of the workflow and, at the end, download the profile.

5. Dump the profile using the command in TN3125 Inside Code Signing: Provisioning Profiles.

The entitlement allowlist in the profile should include com.apple.developer.family-controls. Confirm that’s the case.

Now repeat the process except, in step 2, create a Distribution > App Store profile. Does that profile include com.apple.developer.family-controls?

Share and Enjoy

Thanks!

In the end it looks like the issue was entitlement for one of the app's extensions. We tried various things and finally got it to upload.

• Yay!

• I am also facing same issue. I have already obtained the entitlement for my app but i have the device-activity extension inside the app that requires this entitlement but it's not available in the provisioning profile of the extension. so uploading to appstore connect fails with an error. Did you have to request family controls for your app extension bundle identifier too?

• Hi, Can you please what have you tried so you could upload the app. We face the same issue. Thank you.

Same Problem, How to solve?

May I ask you , how long did you get the family controls permission? I have request the permission for two weeks , but I still have'nt get the permission! Best wishes!

Alongside requesting the distribution entitlement for the app, you should send another request for each new target (extension) that uses family-control capability, like DeviceActivity, DeviceActivityReport