IOS 16 local dns not working

IOS 16 local dns not working from router

Does anyone know how to deal with it?

• I can confirm this bug. All local DNS aren’t recognized or picked up by iOS 16. Previous to 16, it worked fine. This appears to be a regression from an early point release of 14.0.x. Local DNS works fine on 15.x and every other device/computer, otherwise. Even when manual wifi settings are set only to DNS server, same thing occurs.

• I too can confirm this. Any time a local DNS server is specified in conjunction with a public one (I'm testing with 8.8.8.8), iOS 16 seems to prefer the public one - even if the local one is set as the primary. This has occurred with DNS on both WiFi and VPN. On WiFi if I switch DNS to manual, and ONLY have local DNS (which is recursive), I'm able to resolve internal FQDNs. My suspicion is that this has to do with iOS 16 preferring to use DNS that supports DNS-over-HTTPS.

• I am hitting the same problem. We are working on a VPN project which code works fine under iOS 15.7 and earlier versions. The same code failed after I upgraded my iPad to 16.1. I am seeing this message “Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found”. My setup is similar to what 'bcolby' described. I also use 8.8.8.8 and a local DNS. Is there a bug already opened tracking this issue? Thanks.

Add a Comment

Accepted Reply

Are you trying an app for iOS? Or just using an iOS device?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Use browser (chrome&safari) Once available in IOS15

• See my reply below.

Add a Comment

Replies

Are you trying an app for iOS? Or just using an iOS device?

Share and Enjoy

• Use browser (chrome&safari) Once available in IOS15

• See my reply below.

Add a Comment

Both iOS native apps (Calendar and Files) and third party apps (Nextcloud) suffer from the same problem. This is a serious problem for a local development environment. Even Bonjour names won't resolve (ie: machineName.local).

Earlier I wrote:

Are you trying an app for iOS?

There’s a typo in there. I meant to say “Are you building an app for iOS?”

If this problem affects built-in apps then there’s not much I can do to help you out here. My focus is on supporting the APIs in our various platfrom SDKs, and if you can reproduce the problem in Safari then there are no APIs involved.

If you’re unhappy with how the system has changed here, I recommend that you file a bug about that.

Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

I’ve been reporting this bug through the Feedback app since June when the beta first came out. It’s insane to think that it’s still there even in 16.2

• The same bug just showed up in Mac OS Ventura. Or maybe it's a feature?

Add a Comment

I’ve been reporting this bug through the Feedback app since June

What was your bug number?

Share and Enjoy

• One of them was FB10222300. I’m on my daily driver right now but when I get home I’ll look through the Feedback app to see what the others were.

I have no issues whatsoever when I’m using WireGuard VPN to route DNS through my home network while on cellular, so this is definitely exclusive to Wi-Fi (in my case, anyways). I CAN get it to work on Wi-Fi eventually, but I have to completely forget the network, then fill in network details before I click join.

• I occasionally have luck when toggling “Limit IP Address Tracking” on/off a bunch of times. Just one quick toggle doesn’t work; it has to be a couple of times. If that doesn’t take, toggling iCloud Private Relay on/off does the trick. BTW this still occurs on iOS 16+ public release for my spouse. I think it’s something with Relay. I’ve had consistent DNS issues ever since one of the early iOS 16 beta releases where people (including me) were reporting missing the iCloud Relay option in Settings.

Add a Comment

@eskimo I filed a bug over 2 years ago for ios14 and again when it appeared in 16. This is the bug number: FB8741956

It remains open. I have to say, this is a HUGE disappointment that Apple gives such a difficult time in getting help on such essential features as access to properly set up local dns resolutions. I have the new M2 iPad Pro with 16.1 installed and this problem is still there. One must ask why local dns used to work before 16, and still works without issue on Linux, Windows, Android, you name it? This is clearly an ios/iPadOS 16 issue. I ask here because after more than 2 years on feedbackassistant, my original bug was never addressed.

And, I’m sorry, but this affects developers who are developing for your platform when we’re trying to test things on a local network. So, if you could kindly refer me to who I can speak to , or which Apple site to get real help from, I’d appreciate it greatly.

• We, too, encountered this DNS bug in iOS 16.x (including the latest one), which used to work in iOS 15.x versions. It is a low quality collateral breakage in any measure. Now our s/w release is stuck for those users who have already upgraded to iOS 16.x. And I am hoping the Apple s/w team is reading feedback from this forum. Need workaround if anyone can shed some light. Thanks,

Add a Comment

I read through your bug report and it seems that you can reproduce this problem without any of your software installed. That is, you reconfigure the DNS using Settings and then reproduce the problem with built-in apps like Files.

Given that, I recommend that you escalate this with Apple Support.

Share and Enjoy

The same thing happened to me, after upgrade to iOS 16 local dns stopped working. @Apple do you have plans to fix this problem? why do you keep making people suffer?

Hi there,

You might have better luck asking this question over in Apple Support Communities run by Apple Support.

I also had the same problem, this affected many internal services in my LAN. I have upgraded to IOS version 17, but the error is still not fixed.

Again, if you’re looking for help with the built-in behaviour of Apple systems, rather than with the APIs in our various SDKS, you need to escalate that via an Apple Support channel. As Sunny_Apple mentioned, a good place to start is Apple Support Community.

Share and Enjoy

it also not working on ios 17.1.2, hopeless

FYI: What I've seen by sniffing is that instead of a standard A record request (Type 1) they (Apple) have implemented a draft standard Type 65 query instead. This started sometime in the iOS 14 chain.

This smells a lot like what I've read above though I haven't read anyone actually root cause it. This is my experience, YMMV, usual disclaimers apply.

Most local DNS servers don't [yet] recognize this - after all, it is a draft standard - but Apple went ahead and implemented it anyway.

You can read the draft here:

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-dnsop-svcb-https-07.txt

What seems to happen - at least from the sniffing I've done - local DNS servers don't know what to do with the type 65 so they forward it to the rest of the internet assuming you are internet connected. iOS sometimes also issues a type 1 A request. The response from the rest of the internet must come back with at least something otherwise the name resolution - both of them - request fails.

In our case, we had to modify our local DNS server code to send a not found response back to the iOS devices. Then and only then will iOS listen to the A record that is also returned and process things like they used to before implementing this draft standard.

If the Type 65 request is not answered and the Type 1 is answered, the name resolution fails over to the next DNS server in the list.

I found a page at https://github.com/MikeBishop/dns-alt-svc/blob/main/svcb-implementations.md that talks about public services that are using this along with some local DNS servers that support the Type65 query draft standard.

Short version:

"iOS & macOS iOS 14 (September 2020) and macOS 11 (November 2020) support HTTPS/SVCB records. Type 65 (HTTPS) is requested for all URLSession or Network.framework connections that use an http or https scheme, or use ports 80 or 443."

You can check if this is what is biting you by sniffing the DNS requests between iOS and your local router; if you see the Type65 queries and fails or they go to a place that you don't want them to go to, then this is probably why your local DNS isn't working right..

So, Is Apple Developers/Support will fix this issue ? I remember having the same bug in the past and stop updating iOS on all devices, until they provide a new version. Now I guess this bug still exist from at least the latest 3 updates.