[REQUEST] Could Apple Team promote the OCR API for developers?

I fond that the OCR in iPhone[1] is more accurate than OCR API[2] for developers, for example, OCR in iPhone can extract all text in this example picture[3] correctly, but OCR API can't.

I'd appreciate it that Apple team can improve the OCR API to recognize text from image more accurately, at least to OCR in iPhone level.

Thanks for your great work for apple developers!

[1] OCR in iPhone: extract text from image, the function button on right bottom of picture in album app on iOS 15.5 and above

[2] OCR API : https://developer.apple.com/documentation/vision/recognizing_text_in_images?language=objc

[3] example picture: image in attachment

Replies

OCR in iPhone[1] is more accurate than OCR API[2]

What are they each ? Different iOS versions ?

I have also noted that revision 3 (iOS 16) may have issues on certain handwritten texts (it was trained differently than revision 2).

If you prefer older version, you can force the use of specific OCR revision to handle a VNRecognizeTextRequest:

if #available(iOS 16.0, *) {   
                        request.revision = 2
                }
  • What are they each ? Different iOS versions ?

Not the different iOS version, OCR in iPhone is the function button on right bottom of picture in album app on iOS 15.5 and above, all iPhone user can extract text from image using this function. OCR API is the VNRecognizeTextRequest API, just available for apple developer to build iOS app. Above example picture is the example that OCR in iPhone can extract but OCR API can't.

Not the different iOS version. OCR in iPhone is the function button on right bottom of picture in album app on iOS 15.5 and above, all iOS user can use it to extract text from image. OCR API is VNRecognizeTextRequest API, it just available for iOS developer to build iOS app. Above example picture is the example that OCR in iPhone can extract text but OCR API can't. Thanks for your reply

Not the different iOS version.

OCR in iPhone is the function button on right bottom of picture in album app on iOS 15.5 and above, all iOS user can use it to extract text from image. OCR API is VNRecognizeTextRequest API, it just available for iOS developer to build iOS app.

Above example picture is the example that OCR in iPhone can extract text but OCR API can't.

Thanks for your reply

Reply to Claude31

What are they each ? Different iOS versions ?

Not the different iOS version.

OCR in iPhone is the function button on right bottom of picture in album app on iOS 15.5 and above, all iOS user can use it to extract text from image. OCR API is VNRecognizeTextRequest API, it just available for iOS developer to build iOS app.

Above example picture is the example that OCR in iPhone can extract text but OCR API can't.

Thanks for your reply.

If a Add a Comment for reply, It will disappear after I refresh this page, It's strange.