System Extension Termination Fails

My application installs a system extension. When I try to remove the app from the Applications folder (cmd + backspace) I get an error message:

"The operation can’t be completed right now because another operation is in progress, such as moving or copying an item or emptying the Bin."

According to systemextensionsctl the extension state is "terminating for uninstall but still running".

I can see an error in the console logs:

kernelmanagerd	Failed to terminate dext com.my.driver-dk, error: Kernel request failed: (os/kern) invalid address (1)

sysextd	a category delegate declined to terminate extension with identifier: com.my.driver-dk

sysextd	failed to terminate extension with identifier: com.my.driver-dk: Optional(Error Domain=kernelmanagerd.KMError Code=38 "(null)")

Issue occurs with macOS 13 - works fine with macOS 12 and macOS 11

What is the problem here? Have there been any changes in macOS in that regard?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of j-o fischer Down vote post of j-o fischer
2k views

Replies

I have the exactly same issue. It indeed happens since macOS Ventura. Older versions do not have it.

Can you help with this problem?

Update (macOS 13.2): I still see the error messages in the log. However, it seems that the error message ("The operation can’t be completed right now ...") is related to whether there already is an application instance in trash bin. There is no error message when the bin is empty. I am able to remove that app and the driver is uninstalled on reboot (as suggested by the state).

Hi, I'm facing the same problem, do you have any suggestions to solve this problem? Thanks a lot

I confirm that this issue still exists on macOS Sonoma.

Since directly deleting the hosting App is the suggested approach to uninstall a system extension, Apple should fix this issue.

Has anybody opened a ticket with Apple?

• Yes, reported today with ID FB13636366.

Add a Comment