Returning IOS Developer - Swift vs. Xamarin

I was a middleware programmer for a company and a junior one at that. I wrote 95% of my middleware with c#. They did have me do some IOS/Android for them and I used Xamarin just after it came out...this was about 2014 I believe. Fast forward to 2022 and I am not just discovering Swift as well as I have Visual Studio 2022 and I see Xamarin is now native to that IDE since Microsoft owns that platform now.

I just wanted to poll the forum and get a feel for what language do you develop your IOS code with mainly and why?

I am of course very familiar with c#/.net but my first look at Swift it looks pretty cool! (except I keep trying to put in a ; after a line of code out of habit lol).

I appreciate your time, advise and opinions.

Replies

I keep trying to put in a ; after a line of code 

That's not needed but not an issue. That is also needed if you write several statements on the same line.

Comparison is not between Swift and Xamarin but Xcode & Swift vs Xamarin & C#

It may depend on what you want to do, but I do prefer Xcode, as you get better integration with the Cocoa and Cocoa Touch frameworks.

yes. I am just saying I am so used to using it coming from a C, c++, c# background. Good to know on how Xcode works better with the frameworks... I was just seeing if there was one method of coding that is more prevalent or trending over one in the IOS arena. I do appreciate your answer, Claude31!

Also, are there any recommended books, websites, or tutorials that I can access? I just renewed my developer account. I have a couple of Swift books coming and I have 1 on Cross platform coding in .net that discusses MAUI and touches on Xamarin.

Also, are there any recommended books

It really depends on what you are looking for.

Apple tutorials are pretty good, to learn both Swift and Xcode (Apple books - Swift programming language and Intro to app development with Swift).