Use one iPhone for debugging from 2 macbooks

Hello!

So here is the problem: there is one iphone and 2 macbooks with XCode.

If I connect iPhone by cable to one of macbooks, and in "Window->Devices and Simulators" select checkbox "Connect via network", I can run & debug apps on iPhone from that macbook.

But as soon as this iPhone is connected same way to another macbook, and "Connect via network" is selected there, it becomes unreachable on first mabook, and checkbox "Connect via network" becomes cleared.

Why is this limitation in place? In my opinion it should be possible to make iPhone reachable from both macbooks and do not repeat these reconnections all the time.

Is there anybody from XCode core team here?

Replies

Why is this limitation in place?

We generally don’t answer “why” questions [1].

it should be possible to make iPhone reachable from both macbooks and do not repeat these reconnections all the time.

That’d be cool. I encourage you to file an enhancement request along those lines. Please post your bug number, just for the record.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

[1] Although in this case I’ll hazard a guess that it’s related to the way that we pair devices for debugging. Network pairing is based on USB pairing and USB pairing only supports one connection at a time.

We generally don’t answer “why” questions

@eskimo That could be a candidate for tip 3 in Quinn’s Top Fourteen DevForums Tips.

• Good idea. And done.

Add a Comment

Thanks! Posted - got a nice number FB11986818

Add a Comment