Safari omits cancelled requests

Double form submission issue

Everyone knows that if a user submits a form on a webpage that you should disable the user's ability to submit the form twice. Lesson learned time and time again.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature but I'd argue strongly it is the former. In Safari (iOS and macOS) when a user is leveraging the autofill feature for "One Time Codes" typically used for Multi-Factor Authentication, Safari auto-submits the form. This is great, best feature Apple has come out with. However, if the user takes another action on the page to trigger a second network request, then the browser ignores the first auto-submitted form request and keep the user on the page while silently handling the response from the first request.

When I say "silently" I mean that the request is omitted from the network tab in the developer tools even though the browser actually handled (acted-on) the response (in this case it was a 302 redirect and the redirect actually happened!!).

Conclusion

This behavior is non-standard and leads to a huge loss in developer productivity. The browser should maintain the integrity of network requests being made (ie. show them all in the network history) and should send a cancellation network request and ignore the response if there is one when this happens. @Apple please fix this behavior.