Can't enable com.apple.vm.networking entitlement

Host: Mac Ventura 13.3/m1

Xcode:14.3

My request for access to the com.apple.vm.networking entitlement has been approved. In Xcode I have also enabled the ability to automatically manage signing. Then i followed the steps in the link, focusing on new process part (https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/663271) I encountered some problems when I was trying to enable "com.apple.vm.networking"

Adopt an Explicit App ID

I already have an explicit App ID for a macOS target.

Configure Your App ID

My App ID has the VM Networking option checked.

Enable the Entitlement

(in the https://developer.apple.com/documentation/virtualization/running_macos_in_a_virtual_machine_on_apple_silicon_macs to download sample code)

In the sample code macOSVirtualMachineSampleApp.entitlements and InstallationTool.entitlements these two file, I have added the "com.apple.vm.net working", and set the value to YES, but for my build target(InstallationTool-Swift), there is no Personal VPN capability here, so I did not add this capability to update profile, but when I build my target, the terminal always appears the following error. This error caused my virtual machine to not start at all:

Message from debugger: no such process. Program ended with exit code: -1

I searched the Internet for this error which may have been caused by my developer account authentication failure, but i'm not sure.

Please let me know where I went wrong. Now it seems that "com.apple.vm.networking" does not take effect or authorization is not successful. I also don't know whether there is something wrong with my configuration. Anyway, I hope you can give me some advice.

Replies

Does the installation tool need this entitlement? My understanding is that it’s needed to support bridged networking in the VM, via VZBridgedNetworkDeviceAttachment, and that’s only being used by the app.

ps Signing a command-line tool with a restricted entitlement is a pain. It’s possible, using the process described in Signing a daemon with a restricted entitlement, but your life will be easier if you can avoid doing it.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"