When is SwiftData available?

Is SwiftData going to be immediately available to use with iOS 16? I ask because I'm working on an app which I'd like to release around the end of this month, and I'm about to implement CoreData for it, but wanted to see when SwiftData would be available. My guess was that SwiftData is for iOS 17 so I should just stick with CoreData for now and switch over later, but just wanted to check to make sure. Thanks!

Replies

It will not be available before iOS 17 for sure, it's part of current beta development cycle.

Yes, @lyonnaip is right! The Apple Documentation states that the SwiftData framework will be available on:

• iOS 17.0+
  • iPadOS 17.0+
  • macOS 14.0+
  • Mac Catalyst 17.0+
  • tvOS 17.0+
  • watchOS 10.0+
  • Hi @alexander216 , Does this mean that I use SwiftData with my app, no user will be able to use it unless his iPhone iOS is at least 17? If yes this will be a hug drawback, isn't it?

Add a Comment

@alexander216 is correct. Make sure to watch the following session on how to use SwiftData alongside your previous implementation with Core Data. https://developer.apple.com/wwdc23/10189

SwiftData doesn’t preserve order of arrays .. is that the expected behavior?!

• "SwiftData doesn’t preserve order of arrays"

I'm also noticing this and am confounded by all the workarounds required to get my nested arrays sorted. There must be a better way? or future support coming? I hope.

Add a Comment