Questions about Wallet Orders on iOS 17

The talk tagged below mentions sending order packages by email. I just tried sending a signed package from the sample packages that were released last year - and viewing the email on my iPhone running iOS 17 beta 1.

Here it does not open in Wallet, but I suspect this is just a beta issue.

My actual question is: Will it be alright for any system to attach an order package to an email?

I am working on a POS-system that is iOS-based, and I would like the end customers to be able to add their orders to Wallet.

Can I add an order package - or a link to an order package to my receipt emails and have those be added to Wallet? Or does Apple Pay somehow have to be involved?

Can I serve an order package from a webserver? Could it be added to wallet directly from a QR code while the customer is still in the store?

Replies

It's great you're interested in using the new order package functionality in iOS 17. I'd be happy to help you out.

Here it does not open in Wallet, but I suspect this is just a beta issue.

Yes, there is a known issue in Beta 1 where the first time an email is opened it will not display the order. On subsequent attempts it will. Please do file feedback if you're seeing other problems here.

Will it be alright for any system to attach an order package to an email?

Yes, this is supported and encouraged.

does Apple Pay somehow have to be involved?

No, Apple Pay is not required to add orders to Wallet. You can easily integrate orders with Apple Pay, and have them automatically show up in Wallet. But for other payment methods you can add orders from your app (using the new Orders API in iOS 17), by attaching to an email, or distributed via a web link.

Can I serve an order package from a webserver? Could it be added to wallet directly from a QR code while the customer is still in the store?

Yes, you can do both of these things. When Safari opens your link it will detect you are serving an order package, and display the Add Orders UI for the user to add the order to Wallet.

If you have any problems trying this out please post back here!