MacOS 14 (Sonoma) Smart Card Reader Non-functional

I have upgrade to Mac OS 14 and my smart card reader quit working. Works in safe mode and while booting up. Then stops functioning. Allow Accessories to connect is not visible. However, I can search for the function but not select it. MacBook Air M1, Sonoma Beta.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of DogFX01 Down vote post of DogFX01
9.9k views
  • Same problem for me. I saw this message in th console, maybe related: "invalidated after getting a no-senders notification - client is gone"

Add a Comment

Replies

Mine has stopped working also. I can view the USB Card readers in the System Report, but it appears the readers aren't reading my actual card. Likely a firmware issue. Tried on two different card readers. 2020 MBP M1, Sonoma Developer Beta 2.

SC Reader dead here too, but unplugging it and plugging it back in makes it work for a bit... Dies again eventually.

The latest update push did not solve our issue. I really relied on my MacBook Air M1 for telework. Now, I have to use a Microsoft device. Not good at the moment. I might need to roll back off the beta program until this issue with trusted USB devices is solved.

Michael

Same problem for me, I have 3 smart cards, they do not work even without drivers

Same issue here. Unplugging and restarting browser works for a few minutes and then dies again. Running on the 2023 Mac Mini.

Same problem here, specifically we use a Smart Card to access Barclays iPortal for banking.

The smart card and reader works perfectly in Ventura and worked perfectly in the first developer beta of macOS Sonoma, but somewhere either beta 2 or beta 3 of the developer previews it stopped working.

I have replicated this with a clean install on different Mac hardware and the same issue. This is a Sonoma issue and not a reader or Mac hardware issue as the same reader and smart card continue to work well if I plug them into Ventura machine.

Sonoma can "see" the reader (Gemalto BLE Reader) but cannot determine if a card is inserted and cannot read any card.

testing with pcsctest command it sees the reader, I select it (01) and then it hangs on "Waiting for card insertion" even if I insert a card.

Unplugging and replugging in again the whole usb device doesn't give me any window of "it works"... it's not working at all.

• I just installed Sonoma 14.0 (23A344) on my Macbook Pro M1 Max, and my Barclays iPortal smart card reader is dead, dead, dead. Exactly the same symptoms; Sonoma can "see" the reader (Gemalto BLE Reader) but cannot determine if a card is inserted and cannot read any card. I re-installed the card reader software, but the same result, no go.

Add a Comment

It seems that latest public beta has resolved issues with usb smart card reader.

• unfortunately it has not fixed it for me. Was your latest an upgrade or a clean install?

Add a Comment

Just to confirm, a clean install of the released public version on 27th September - and still smart cards are NOT working, whereas they work perfectly on Ventura (and did on initial developer builds of Sonoma)

Yeah, it's not completely fixed for me, either. I'm on the RC, or Gold Master, or wherever we are at now. I can use the card reader to open sites in Safari, and to log into our virtual desktop, but once I do that, I can't use it for anything inside the virtual desktop. It can see the card reader but can't read the tokens off it. This same computer (2022 M1 MBP) worked fine the day prior to updating to the RC. No changes to hardware or software apart from the OS itself, and it stopped passing card reader credentials through to the virtual machine.

I'm also having this issue. Any changes? <b>bump</b>

In my case I still get <b>invalidated after getting a no-senders notification - client is gone</b>

I'm also having this issue. Any changes? <b>bump</b>

I'm also having this issue. Any changesss? <b>bump</b>

same problem here, right after upgrade to sonoma my vpn access token is not visible for client software... and it jas been working perfectly on Ventura. Well done, Apple

Same here.. I'm having this issue after upgrading yesterday to Sonoma (14.0). SafeNet Authentication Client doesn't recognize my usb key

• MUSCLE PC/SC Lite Test Program

Testing SCardEstablishContext : Command successful. Testing SCardGetStatusChange Please insert a working reader : Command successful. Testing SCardListReaders : Command successful. Reader 01: SafeNet Token JC Enter the reader number : 01 Waiting for card insertion : Command successful. Testing SCardConnect : Card is unresponsive.

• Same problem herre with Safenet doesnt recognize my token.

Add a Comment