MacOS 14 (Sonoma) Smart Card Reader Non-functional

I have upgrade to Mac OS 14 and my smart card reader quit working. Works in safe mode and while booting up. Then stops functioning. Allow Accessories to connect is not visible. However, I can search for the function but not select it. MacBook Air M1, Sonoma Beta.

Same problem here. I use Safenet. I can not unlock my token.

My card reseller has sent me a hotfix for SafeNet users. I uploaded it to on my Github: https://github.com/smuhlaci/safenet-macos14-fix/releases/tag/main

You should uninstall your current middleware(removing the SafeNet folder in Applications/ worked fine), then install the .dmg file in the link.

Using an IOGEAR GSR20, can login to a citrix remote desktop instance but it crashes immediately and the card reader "green light" goes offs. Only a restart will restore it but the same thing happens. I've noticed software installers that accept PIV/smart card pins will crash on entering it too.

Steps I took to fix this issue:

Make sure you have installed both libusb and pkg-config from brew.

1. Download the latest CCID driver from here https://ccid.apdu.fr/files/ and unzip it
  2. In terminal, cd to where the libs from libusb are installed (mine was in /opt/homebrew/Cellar/libusb/1.0.26/lib) and run these 2 commands:
    • mv libusb-1.0.dylib libusb-1.0.lib
    • mv libusb-1.0.0.dylib libusb-1.0.0.lib
  3. cd to where you the CCID stuff and run these 2 commands:
    • pkg-config --libs libusb-1.0
    • pkg-config --cflags libusb-1.0
  4. Install the driver using these commands:
    • ./MacOSX/configure
    • make
    • sudo make install

Assuming you've followed along correctly and everything ran without issues, you should now have a new CCID driver installed in /usr/local/libexec/SmartCardServices/drivers/ifd-ccid.bundle.

Once you have made all your changes, in order for this driver to take effect you have to reboot the system.

I do not know what else to do. I went through every step at least twice. I uninstalled and reinstalled certificates. I updated the drivers. No dice. Everything was working fine a few weeks ago. My card reader and CAC works on other computers without an issue so it is definitely an issue with the macOS Sonoma.

I saw there was a new Public Release Beta out. Has anyone tried it to see if it resolves this issue? I'm usually able to get my smart card to work in the browser, but soon as it launches a third-party application like Citrix Workspaces, the virtual environment just hangs; as described by someone else in this thread.

Updated to 14.3 Beta. The problem with smart cards has not been resolved. Using the fix, we managed to force SafeNet to see the smart card. But I can't access it through the browser.

I have a slightly different problem on 14.5. The smart card reader connects as I can find it in the system report as attached to USB, but the CARD doesn't read. It will read sometimes, but you have to unplug/plug it in many many times in some cases. It seems that there is a process that is failing somewhere in the chain leaving the system in a bad state.

MacOS 14 (Sonoma) Smart Card Reader Non-functional

Q