Open CarPlay app with Siri

I have a Driving Task CarPlay entitlement. While connected to CarPlay, I can ask Siri to open any of the apps on the CarPlay Console.

Granted, I suspect none of the apps I have fall under Driving Task entitlements. Audible, Audio Books and Music would likely be Audio apps. WhatsApp and Telegram will be Communication, Waze and Maps will be Navigation.

I have SiriKit intents to do various tasks in the app. When I use Siri and issue those commands, they all work, regardless of whether I'm connected to CarPlay or Not.

What baffles me is that I can't ask Siri to simply open my app on the CarPlay console. She keeps responding with “Sorry, I can’t do that while you’re driving.”

I've read through the CarPlay App Programming Guide. The guide mentions the following:

• All voice interaction must be handled using SiriKit (with the exception of CarPlay navigation apps)

• Under additional guidelines for communication apps, it mentions that your app must support VOIP calling features via specific SiriKit intents.

• Under additional guidelines for navigation apps, they mention that voice control must be limited to navigation features.

I don't see any special mention of voice control related to Driving Task apps.

When I ask Siri to open my app on the iPhone, it just happens. I didn't have to do anything specifically to have this functionality.

Why can't I open my app with Siri on the CarPlay console?

Replies

Logged in Feedback Assistant: FB12645676