Can't load/decode PKDrawing using any of the new inks (version 2, iOS 17)

I am using Xcode 15 beta 5 with iOS 17 beta 4 SDK. By building with the iOS 17 SDK my app got all the new inks which work great. Saving/encoding the PKDrawing to Data also works fine. However if I want to load the same PKDrawing again, on the same simulator or device (i.e., same iOS version) it fails with "Apple Drawing Format is from a future version that is too new.".

From my understanding, reading https://developer.apple.com/documentation/pencilkit/supporting_backward_compatibility_for_ink_types?changes=_2 this is the expected behaviour when trying to load such a PKDrawing on an older iOS version which doesn't support the new ink types.

Here is a short example, which prints the error:

var drawing = PKDrawing()
        let strokePoints = [
            PKStrokePoint(location: CGPoint(x: 0, y: 0), timeOffset: 0, size: CGSize(width: 3.0, height: 3.0), opacity: 2, force: 1, azimuth: 1, altitude: 1)
        ]
        let strokePath = PKStrokePath(controlPoints: strokePoints, creationDate: Date())

drawing.strokes.append(PKStroke(ink: .init(.watercolor), path: strokePath))

do {
            let data = drawing.dataRepresentation()
            let drawing2 = try PKDrawing(data: data)
            print("success")
        } catch {
            print(error)
        }
    }

Saving & loading a PKDrawing which does not use any of the new ink types works fine.

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of mbuchetics Down vote post of mbuchetics

Replies

same, how to fix the problem?