Sonoma 14 & Xcode 14.3.1

I have just upgraded to Sonoma 14. When I launch Xcode 14.3.1 it says I need to update to the latest version and send me to the AppStore where the latest version is 14.3.1? I have beta Xcode 15 installed, but can upload apps compiled with it to the AppStore.

What's going on?

Replies

You're using Beta software. Xcode 14.3.1 isn't supported on Sonoma and Xcode 15 isn't out of beta yet. Neither is Sonoma for that matter.

You cannot run Xcode 14 on Sonoma.

Xcode 15 builds are broken on Sonoma. They will run fine on every system version prior to Sonoma but they don't render any UI on Sonoma because visibleRect returns nonsense values (you only need to add two lines of code to a stock UI project to demonstrate that, the most minimal test case you can think of) and because CoreAnimation tries to load a shader and this doesn't work:

Metal failed to load render pipeline: pipeline=PBGRAXmw_BclrA3Xhfc sdk=23A322
Failed to find reflection in binary archives

and yes, we tried the workaround to link directly against the Metal framework but that didn't work at all. So without going back to Xcode 14.3.1, all software development would have to come to a halt until Apple has addressed those issues.

See also:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/735776

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/738589

So we have no choice to keep using Xcode 14.3.1 and the way to do it is:

• Download and unpack Xcode 14.3.1
  • Right click and select "Show Package Contents"
  • Navigate to Contents
  • Open the Info.plist file
  • Alter CFBundleVersion from 21815 to 22265
  • Save change
  • Right click Xcode 14.3.1 bundle and select "Open"

There you go:

• hello, why i select "Open" and click "agree" to continue the agreement but no reponse. i cannot go to next step.

Add a Comment

Nice one. Worked for me. Thanks

• That means now you are able to run Xcode 14.3 in Sonomo 14 ?

Add a Comment

This was solved for me with the "latest" version of Xcode Command line tools. version 15.0.1 (15A507)