File Sharing: ‘Open in App’ option is not available along with Share extension from iOS 16 and above

Hi,

My iOS app used to import say abc.xyz file using ‘Open in App’ option which is achieved using Uniform Type Identifiers(UTI). This abc.xyz file was attached and shared via an email client.

[Note: My app also has Share extension to import other file type]

Upto iOS 15, When I try to import this file to my app I can see 2 options(Expected behaviour):

• Open in app
  • Share with app

But from iOS 16 and above(latest iOS 17 beta 4), I can only see below option,

• Share with app

To debug further, I created a project(iOS 17 beta 4) and added UTI support for abc.xyz file format(Same as above).

When the same file is attached in email client and try to import to app, I can see below option,

• Copy to app

When this file is saved locally(on device) and later try to import from the Files folder, I can see below option,

• Open in app

But the moment I add Share extension(Which is the requirement of my app), the only option to import file is

• Share with app

From the above observation my queries are,

1. Why there is behavioural change from iOS 16 and above when showing the options to import file ?
  2. Has “Open in app” option removed when Share extension is present in app from iOS 16 and above ?
  3. Does that mean when Share extension target is added in project the only way to import files is via Share extension from iOS 16 and above ?

Or can you please suggest if any extra parameters to be added to info.plist from iOS 16 and above to support both options i.e., Open in app & Share with app ?

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote post of BMDivya Down vote post of BMDivya