Is it possible to develop apps for Vision Pro on an Intel Mac?

I just recently saw a message in the Unity forums, by a Unity staff member, that Apple requires an Apple Silicon based Mac (M1, M2) in order to build apps for the Vision Pro glasses. This confused me since the simulator works just fine on my Intel Mac. Is there any official statement from Apple on this? It would be weird to buy a new Mac just because of this.

Replies

Sorry I wasn’t able to respond sooner; this situation is still evolving. The latest news from Apple is in the Xcode 15 Beta 7 Release Notes, which says:

visionOS Simulator is not supported on Intel based Mac hardware

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!” @ Developer Technical Support @ Apple
let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@" + "apple.com"

• Thanks, Quinn. The fun thing is: The visionOS simulator DID work on my Intel Mac, but not in combination with Unity. AND, it stopped working after I upgraded to macOS Sonoma, even when I used the very same configuration as on Ventura. I just wanted to try at least taking the "native route" (i.e. without Unity), but now I am blocked again. This is pretty disappointing. And I don't even know if Sonoma actually is the problem or not :/

• Just confirmed that it is a Sonoma thing after installing Ventura on a separate drive. Why didn't Apple even mention this limitation?! I wouldn't have upgraded my macBook then.

• @waldgeist which version of Ventura did you get it working on? Im on Ventura Version 13.6.4 and am not able to get it working.

Add a Comment